Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   McCalls Quilting Jan/Feb 2012 / 3 month mystery quilt along (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/mccalls-quilting-jan-feb-2012-3-month-mystery-quilt-along-t174799.html)

Sewze 06-05-2012 04:44 AM

Moonwork, yours is very pretty. I like it a lot. I still haven't finished mine..... Just have to put the borders on after enlarging it to king size. I don't care for my choice of fabrics either, Bobbielinks, so you are not alone!

Havplenty 06-05-2012 06:44 AM

karate ladya nd moonwork nice quilts. your colors play so well together. i decided that i didn't like the pink fabric i choose as a main fabric so it is back to the drawing board for me. i made up one block and it was not working.

catsnchina 06-06-2012 08:48 AM

Very nice. I really like your color selections.

I will post my top soon. Still have a few more things to finish as I didn't like the pink I put in and have modified the pattern quite a bit until I like it.

catsnchina 06-09-2012 11:53 AM

My Completed and Revised Mystery Quilt Top

3 Attachment(s)
Well here is my pieced quilt top from the McCall's Mystery Quilt series. It looks quite a bit different from the pattern as I added a containment border, different wider border and then machine applied fussy cut flowers on all the larger interior squares.
These were an attempt to calm down the ugly pink fabric I put in the quilt. The pink wasn't too bad until it went into the quilt and then it overpowered/and didn't work with the other fabrics. Oh well...

Havplenty 06-09-2012 12:24 PM

nice work catsnchina. your quilt is very pretty and happy looking. i too had a pink fabric and it too started to not look right with the other fabrics so i cut the whole project off until i can figure something else out. but applique won't be one of those things.:D

mary

sharon b 06-09-2012 10:20 PM

How clever to add the flowers as applique :) I think you did an awesome job toning down the pink :thumbup:

nancia 06-10-2012 07:39 AM

i love the addition of the flowers! i still haven't finished cutting mine, but i have the excuse of having several with a higher priority. will get to it as it is dh's everything present this year (b'day, father's day, groundhog day, etc):)
love seeing all the cousins to my quilt! really neat!

catsnchina 06-10-2012 08:35 AM

Thanks for the nice comments. It was definitely a learning experience for me and that is good. Pink can definitely be a problematic color as it doesn't always "play" well with other colors.

I usually love mystery quilts and will make more. I have a jelly roll mystery that I plan to start next (found it here on the board), but I'm trying to get some quilting done on my UFOs which keep increasing in number.

Bobbielinks 06-27-2012 05:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well it is finally put together and I am wondering why I spent so much time on such an ugley quilt! Sure wish I could put together colors like the rest of you have done - then I would have had a pretty quilt, but, color combinations are not my strong area. Maybe I can come up with a way to quilt it that will change the looks. If not it will probably end up in a box somewhere to be discovered by future generations.

Havplenty 06-27-2012 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by catsnchina (Post 5278826)
Thanks for the nice comments. It was definitely a learning experience for me and that is good. Pink can definitely be a problematic color as it doesn't always "play" well with other colors.....

while i can find something good in and love most all colors, i know there was a reason that i didn't incorporate pink fabrics in my stash or my projects. i just didn't know the reason why at the time. yep i think you are right pink does not play well with others unless of course it is a main addition or star of the show.