Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
questions from newbie >

questions from newbie

questions from newbie

Old 05-01-2009, 12:38 AM

What is "locked"? I want to ask 2 questions.

---May I join this Pioneer BOM late?
---May I be allowed to continue if I wasn't able to finish ontime?

My medical conditions can cause more trouble on some days or weeks, I just never know what my day will be like when I wake up each day. Years ago, I enjoyed a BOM club at a local quilt shop but can no longer be assured that I can manage to show up or with a finished block, which is required. This looks like a wonderful chance for me to learn patterns one block at a time and end up with a sampler quilt... and have other quilter friends to show my blocks to!

Please be honest if you don't want to set some kind of precedent you can't undo later.
cathy
Old 05-01-2009, 03:29 AM

Pioneer block of the month is open to everyone, and there is no set rule that you must finish by a particular time. You can make as many or as few blocks as you wish. :)
Old 05-01-2009, 04:37 AM

Basically the BOM is a guide more then a challange. just take your time and when you complete a block you can post a picture, even if its a year later. I have been doing that with 2008 blocks :) NO time lines, Take your time, Have fun :D
Old 05-01-2009, 04:43 AM
Power Poster

Thats the really nice thing about this board....you can pretty much "play" only if/when you want...no police to look over your shoulder. Have fun and post your pics so we can all oooohhhhh and aaahhhh over them!
Old 05-01-2009, 09:45 AM

Oh boy! Thanks!
Cathy
Old 05-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltswithdogs
What is "locked"? I want to ask 2 questions.

---May I join this Pioneer BOM late?
---May I be allowed to continue if I wasn't able to finish ontime?

My medical conditions can cause more trouble on some days or weeks, I just never know what my day will be like when I wake up each day. Years ago, I enjoyed a BOM club at a local quilt shop but can no longer be assured that I can manage to show up or with a finished block, which is required. This looks like a wonderful chance for me to learn patterns one block at a time and end up with a sampler quilt... and have other quilter friends to show my blocks to!

Please be honest if you don't want to set some kind of precedent you can't undo later.
cathy
sorry, you have these problems, quiltswithdogs, but, I live in your world too, and know what that unpredictability is like. It makes you really uneasy to get involved, and sometimes your so excited, you leap, and then your body doesn't leap with you. :cry: thanks for asking this question, it makes me feel better. :D
Old 05-07-2009, 06:44 PM

Hi qcrazy, I'm sorry you are not well too. Life is very challenging for sure. Some days my fingers don't work, others I'm in bed too much then need to get something done around here instead of fun quilting. You feel better hearing about me because you don't feel so alone. I am on 2 other boards besides this one; one for bowel disease and the other for rheumatoid arthritis. Each provides support, information, and even a little humor from others living with chronic conditions and multitudes of doctors, medications, treatments, equipment, frustrations. I no longer feel so alone with these struggles. Since I joined in March, I've already noticed I talk less about my ailments to poor hubby, although I need him to truly understand me so he can back me up like for proving that I deserve SSDisability when I go before the judge at the hearing (no date yet). I don't post every day on those; often just reading is enough. That's what gave me the idea to see if there was such a thing as a quilting forum! Now I am all rejazzed about quilting again. It's so fun having people interested in me for this happy thing. My family is my fan base, but they do not understand anything about what goes into quilting like everybody here does. It's really satisfying getting feedback and praise from my peers (well, except that I'm not at the skill level as most here... but that's ok). . I can tell you that we have an advantage over many chronically ill people, we have a way to create beauty and happiness... and that is great therapy for us.