Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
"Spike Your English" Block of the Month Quilt-Along >

"Spike Your English" Block of the Month Quilt-Along

"Spike Your English" Block of the Month Quilt-Along

Old 08-30-2013, 01:18 AM

nice, i will join, am starting the first one now, why are there so many pages here of 'comments' not related to this subject?
makes it difficult to keep up. (just saying).
Old 08-30-2013, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by dungeonquilter View Post
As for Me ... always looking for more Canucks to join us here!!
I am a Canuck in Ontario. I have the patterns printed out. Now I have to try to tackle my stash to see what I can use. Stash has gotten out of hand, and is piled in bins and large totes all stacked on top of each other with more stash stacked on top of that. It has just about taken over half the room where I cut and press. Help would be gratefully accepted. I have been fighting depression and haven't sewn for several months until just a couple of weeks ago, and was trying to use shopping as therapy. It doesn't work for me. Getting help now, and improving every week.[/QUOTE]
Old 08-30-2013, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by shadoh View Post
I am a Canuck in Ontario. I have the patterns printed out. Now I have to try to tackle my stash to see what I can use. Stash has gotten out of hand, and is piled in bins and large totes all stacked on top of each other with more stash stacked on top of that. It has just about taken over half the room where I cut and press. Help would be gratefully accepted. I have been fighting depression and haven't sewn for several months until just a couple of weeks ago, and was trying to use shopping as therapy. It doesn't work for me. Getting help now, and improving every week.
[/QUOTE]

Glad you are feeling better, "help would be gratefully accepted"...how can i help? i live 100 km east of Toronto,
Old 08-30-2013, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by shadoh View Post
nice, i will join, am starting the first one now, why are there so many pages here of 'comments' not related to this subject?
makes it difficult to keep up. (just saying).
shadoh there are 12 of us doing this BOM that have previously made the Farmers Wife Sampler Quilt and the Farmers Wife Pony Club quilt by Laurie Aaron Hird, these two quilts have taken us almost 3 years to make and in that time firm friendships have been formed, SO in answer to your query, we just like to chat and encourage others to join us, nobody is excluded. I hope you have fun with us on this journey and get to know some of us as we chat each day..
Old 08-30-2013, 01:50 AM

Anael were you referring to me here's some more then I am going to put my tired little head on a pillow

Some more pics for you to enjoy.
The eagle quilt is a wall hanging made for my DH, there are over 600 pieces in it and it took me 4 weeks to make, all paper pieced of course
Attached Thumbnails dscf0415.jpg   dscf0232.jpg   jamestown-landing.jpg   soaring-eagle.jpg  
Old 08-30-2013, 02:13 AM

Oh Karen, I'm speechless! Such gorgeous quilts!
What's laying on the floor in the third picture? New embroidered blocks?

Shadoh, welcome to the group. Mirabelle explained already why we're so chatty
Old 08-30-2013, 02:41 AM

Anael that photo was taken last October after our retreat in September, that is DD's Jamestown Landing, the blocks in front of it are machine embroidered applique animals made by Canuck Shannon. I also made a quilt from these blocks but for the life of me can't find a pic of it
Old 08-30-2013, 03:00 AM

I thought you would be asleep by now If you ever find the picture, please post it. I would love to see it, all cats as far as I can see.

You do a lot of embroidered blocks, aren't they stiff after embroidery? That's what holding me back from doing a quilt with embroidery.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:27 AM

Still here will try and find a pic for you tomorrow, the stiffness depends on the amount of stitches, I am making one at the moment, just using wadding and no stabiliser so the blocks are fairly soft. I have always been told to use 2 layers of stabiliser but that is 2 layers that sits behind the stitches so makes it very stiff. The blocks you can almost see are different animals, dinosaur, bear, cat etc etc and they are not stiff at all as most of the design is fabric with just machine embroidery satin stitch around them. Machine embroidery applique is less stiff than normal machine applique as you don't have vlisofix ironed to the back holding the fabric in place. I hope this makes sense. Pic tomorrow I promise
Old 08-30-2013, 03:46 AM

So if I understand correctly you embroider the design on what? Tear away? WSS? Make an applique and sew that onto the fabric with a straight stitch right next to the satin stitches? I never used 2 layers of stabilizer, only with Free Standing Lace. Do you use temp. glue to fix the fabric on the wadding? Doesn't the wadding stretch in the hoop?
Sorry, lots of questions