Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
American Girl - Need the "trend" explained to me.  LOL >

American Girl - Need the "trend" explained to me. LOL

American Girl - Need the "trend" explained to me. LOL

Old 03-17-2012, 04:46 PM

Default American Girl - Need the "trend" explained to me. LOL

Ok, American Girl dolls are popular with the little girls right now. My cousin's little girl is almost 7 and I thought I might introduce her to American Girls via some books to see if it is something she likes. Also, I see where the girls can get dolls that look like them, but how does that pertain to the historical girls featured by American Girl?

Hope y'all can help me understand! LOL

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-17-2012, 05:01 PM

It how your little girl can pretend that she lives in that historical time frame. I think I would have enjoyed having an Amercian Girl doll if I was that age.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:18 PM

That makes sense! I got some different American Girl stickers at Michael's and I'm going to order the introductory "Meet" books that match the girl stickers. That way she can decide which girl she likes best before deciding on a doll. Hubby and I might get her a doll for Christmas if she really likes the American Girls.

Thanks so much for your reply!

Happy Stitching!
Old 03-17-2012, 08:20 PM

I think you can request a catalog. That's how my DGD picked out the doll she liked. You can also go to the AG site and "custom" make the doll choosing hair, eyes, etc.

As to getting a doll that looks like your DGD, that would probably be more in line with the Twin Doll. You send in a photo and they can match it very close. My nieces and grand niece have the Twin Doll and they very much favor them. The Twin Doll is a little more expensive.

My 5yo DGD got an AG doll for Christmas with a couple of outfits and I found some handmade clothes on one of the sites. HOWEVER, Analise (the doll) takes after Nana...stays in her jammies all day!! LOL My DGD says she needs lot of rest!!

My 8yo DGD got an AG doll for her birthday in December and by what they custom chose, the doll does look like her, even down to the cute little "bob" haircut.

I am entering into my "second childhood" playing with these dolls!
Old 03-18-2012, 03:16 AM

Although the dolls can be pricey, I think it is a welcome relief from the "Bratz" type trend. And it encourages reading. The books are very nice.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:54 AM

There are lots of free doll clothes patterns on the internet. I just googled "free American Girl doll clothes patterns" and got lots of sites. Some have one piece of clothing and some have several. My GD got an American Girl doll for Christmas and I have been making clothes since then. I don't know which one of us has had more fun! The patterns are and easy to make......and I have lots of fabric......it has been fun!
Old 03-18-2012, 06:11 AM

The original American Girl dolls followed the historical themes. As Mattel- who now owns the original company realized what a money maker they had, they expanded into other directions also, so one doll wouldn't be enough. they are very pricey, and the AG stores charge about $35 dollars an outfit.

I bought a very good used doll on Craigslist for $70 and have made many many outfits that are better made and a lot cheaper than the ones in the store. My ultimate goal is to teach my granddaughter to sew.

I truly believe that the AG Hopscotch Hill dolls that are no longer made (check ebay) are much nicer dolls! They were marketed for younger girls, but I think they were more appropriate for older girls, with their jointed extremities. There are many patterns available for their clothes also.

If anyone would like to know more about the AG Hopscotch Hill dolls, pm me after you go to ebay. Lots on ebay are overpriced. They also come with books. Great reads, even for older girls. mary
Old 03-18-2012, 10:38 AM

Our Public Library used to have the series of books for check-out, try your local library.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:20 PM

I will warn you that making doll clothes will become another habit. I sewed for 7 last year and my dgd is 24 years old and does not play with doll anymore.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:38 PM

You need to take her to the American Doll Store in New York City. You can eat lunch there or have your birthday party there. It's a very neat store!

http://www.americangirl.com/stores/location_ny.php