Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Magazine trend towards busy fabric combinations

I do not like the newest trend of using a bunch of busy fabrics to the point of not even seeing the design.
    All the magazines are doing this and it sure makes for ugly quilts.
    I like to see the design in the pattern not a jumble of fabrics thrown togather.
    Whats with all these huge prints also? I cant figure out how to use them. Very bright colors and large prints are not my style.
    I have been canceling my mags as they become due as there is nothing in them that I like.
    Its getting hard to find smaller prints in nice colors so when I do find one I grab it up. I could not find any Christmas fabrics this year at all, they were all large prints or odd colors.
    I live in Phoenix with lots of quilt shops to choose from but find very little to buy.
    Any one else feel this way or am I just behind the times and stuck in my ways?

Blog Entries
    I don't like the ones without contrast! If I don't have enough contrast to see the pattern, I would prefer to just make a whole cloth to show off the fabric that I love. Just me!

Quote Originally Posted by Rose Marie
    I do not like the newest trend of using a bunch of busy fabrics to the point of not even seeing the design.
    I like to see the design in the pattern not a jumble of fabrics thrown togather.
    Whats with all these huge prints also? I cant figure out how to use them. Very bright colors and large prints are not my style.
    I have been canceling my mags as they become due as there is nothing in them that I like.
    Its getting hard to find smaller prints in nice colors so when I do find one I grab it up. I could not find any Christmas fabrics this year at all, they were all large prints or odd colors.
    I live in Phoenix with lots of quilt shops to choose from but find very little to buy.
    Shopping online solves that problem.

I am not renewing my subscriptions either because I don't like the patterns. I agree, for me, keep it simple. Too much color and business is not for me.

I'm also cancelling my subs. I can find 99% of what I need on the internet. The other 1% I don't need!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rose Marie
    Try 35th Ave Sew and Vac. They have a wonderful Fabric Collection and a great mix of small and large prints. I have also looked around Phoenix (I live on the Glendale/Phoenix border) and so far this is the only one that I have been able to find what I want, when I want it. Good Luck. They are on the web and the link is:
    [url] http://www.35thavesewandvac.com/

Blog Entries
    Quilt magazines are focused on the younger generation of quilters. My DD and friends who are young mothers like the modern style of quilting. They think the traditional pieced quilts are beautiful but they do not fit in their decorating likes. Big squares and clean lines are what they lean to.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Quilt magazines are focused on the younger generation of quilters. My DD and friends who are young mothers like the modern style of quilting. They think the traditional pieced quilts are beautiful but they do not fit in their decorating likes. Big squares and clean lines are what they lean to.
    I think so also. My new daughter in law loves the wedding quilt I made them (avatar) but I see in her apartment bolder designs and colors Her Christmas gift will reflect that!

I do shop some at 35th ave sew and vac but it is expensive unless you use the coupon.
    I prefer to shop online.

Well, different tastes. I love the big, bold patterns created by Amy Butler, Fassett and Valori Wells etc. They're not for everyone, but I like bold, modern quilts and some of these fabric lines are to die for. But, I've not bought many magazines. I don't think it's due to what fabric people are using for the featured quilts. It's economics and you can get so many ideas and patterns online for free, why pay?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    Well, different tastes. I love the big, bold patterns created by Amy Butler, Fassett and Valori Wells etc. They're not for everyone, but I like bold, modern quilts and some of these fabric lines are to die for. But, I've not bought many magazines. I don't think it's due to what fabric people are using for the featured quilts. It's economics and you can get so many ideas and patterns online for free, why pay?
    I do too. I just like some contrast so I can see the prints.

I like big prints and bright colors, but I can only stand so much of them in one quilt. I have to have a place to rest my eye and I do like to be able to see the pattern. Some of the quilts in mags today cause me to go into overload with all the wild fabrics in them.

I try to look at the pattern and imagine it with some blenders in it to decide if I like the pattern.

I love it all...traditional and modern!! :)

Banned
    many of the "designers" featured in the magazines use collections fron a single manufacturer and usually their latest designs. I have in the past done this and was encouraged to use as many of the patterns as possible.
    The churn dash I made (mentioned in another post) contained every print in one line. The instructions were difficult to translate as I didn't have access to so many prints and it took awhile to assemble enough to make the quilt even similar to the one in the magazine. The pattern was used at a retreat and the attendees wanted to know how much fabric they needed from their stash. My My what a job to calculate amounts when I didn't have 1/2 yd cuts of all the prints.

Blog Entries
    It's like the recent post on "over-quilting". Some like it, some don't. I'm with you and don't like anything that detracts or muddies the block patterns and total design.

I saw that trend in the scrapbook world a few years back and it is gradually shifting to "less busy" in the patterns that are coming out. I don't mind a big print, but also don't like lots of big prints crammed together.

Cheers, K

Blog Entries
    I agree Marie some quilts are just "Too Busy' they look like the fabrics have been put together with no thought given to the overall look. I live in Melbourne Australia and have just discovered "Fabric Shack" in the US, their fabric range is extensive, the SAME fabric in Australia is three times the price, the mailing cost from the US is minimal. A lot of quilters "Down Under" now buy their fabric from the US, I am sure you will find suitable designs for your quilts at their on line store. I placed an order and within 5 days it was delivered the service is very efficient.

Happy Quilting
    Carol Wilson

I also do not like the "modern" prints like Kaffe Fassett or Amy Butler. They remind me of "Tent Dress" we wore in the 60's.

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsie
    It's like the recent post on "over-quilting". Some like it, some don't. I'm with you and don't like anything that detracts or muddies the block patterns and total design.
    I want to see the pattern of the blocks and I agree about "over-quilting"

I love the bold colours too and I am the wrong side of sixty, so not so young!!!! They brighten my day both to work with and look at when I finished, luckily two of my three daughters are the same. The third likes the old fashioned colours and funnily enough she is the youngest in her mid thirties.

RST
    Blog Entries
    The blended colors and patterns of the modern style are very forgiving for beginning quilters -- poorly matched seams and wonky quilting just kind of disappear. The emphasis is then on color and fabric -- which is sometimes fine.

I'm glad to see the influx of new quilters -- that ensures that we all have access to a dynamic and healthy fabric and quilt-stuff market.

But as far as magazines go -- I wonder how so many of them still stay in business. With as many quilt blogs and websites as there are, which are free, surely the demand for magazines is significantly down? I don't know, as I only read quilting mags if I can find them in the library (again for free).
    RST

I used to get at least 3 different ones each month and then borrow more from my mom, but they all have the same types of things, same patterns, same shows, nothing really new or unusual, whatever one magazine does, they all do....no more subscriptions here!

Blog Entries
    I'd probably never make one but I admire all of them. It's nice that there's something for everyone, both new and old quilters.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Rose Marie, I used to subscribe to at least 3-4 mags a year. Then decided it was just too much and I wasn't enjoying them.
    I now don't have any. With the internet I just don't feel the need to spend money on stuff that just started piling up on me!
    But in my early quilting days they were a lot of fun :)

I treasure the older quilt magazines, but am beginning to realize that nowadays each issue is mainly promoting the business of quilting, ie: selling us more fabric (they know we have enough stash to last a lifetime!), and "gotta have" items that make quilting fast, etc. But yes, I see that the next generation of quilters wants this because they are so busy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast