any knitters - need help!!

Old 10-20-2011, 10:08 AM

I am making an ear-warmer/headband for the winter - a simple round band, right? Making it on circular needles. I am almost finished and notice there is a twist in it - like a Mobius strip.
How did I do that?

I am not going to take it out, I will just put the twist in the skinny part (at the back of the head) and sew it down.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:13 AM

That happens when you first cast on, then you connect the two ends. It's easy to miss, but once you go around a time or two, it's irreversable. I did that on my sister's sweater that I started. Think 560 + stitches, x 8 or more rows until I caught on. D'oh!
Old 10-20-2011, 10:13 AM
Power Poster

the mistake, unfortunately, was in your first round. it's really difficult to tell if, before the join, the row got twisted on the needle. at least you have an easy fix.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:18 AM

wow, thanks!! I can't imagine if it was a sweater!! Yikes!!
Old 10-20-2011, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
That happens when you first cast on, then you connect the two ends. It's easy to miss, but once you go around a time or two, it's irreversable.
I've seen it suggested that you knit back across one or two rows before joining. Then it's easier to see if your stitches are twisted. You just have a small seam that can be closed with the tail from the cast on.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:47 AM

Yeah, I always have trouble with twisted stitches when knitting in the round. I have to make myself sit and put the cast on stitches in the same direction so they done't twist.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
That happens when you first cast on, then you connect the two ends. It's easy to miss, but once you go around a time or two, it's irreversable.
I've seen it suggested that you knit back across one or two rows before joining. Then it's easier to see if your stitches are twisted. You just have a small seam that can be closed with the tail from the cast on.
That's exactly what I do. It's especially helpful if you're starting on DPNs, like on the top of a sock or a mitten cuff. It's much, much easier to knit a few rows on one needle then distribute them across the others if you've got a bit of fabric to manipulate. The seam is invisible, if it's carefully sewn--after a few wearings I can't even find it anymore.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by SparkMonkey
That's exactly what I do. It's especially helpful if you're starting on DPNs, like on the top of a sock or a mitten cuff. It's much, much easier to knit a few rows on one needle then distribute them across the others if you've got a bit of fabric to manipulate. The seam is invisible, if it's carefully sewn--after a few wearings I can't even find it anymore.
This is the best way to handle it. Once its started the only fix is to rip out the whole thing and start over.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by annthreecats
Yeah, I always have trouble with twisted stitches when knitting in the round. I have to make myself sit and put the cast on stitches in the same direction so they done't twist.
I agree with all the other posters. That first join is the key. The stitches have to be facing the same direction without twisting. That reminds me, I have some hats to get done.

Pat
Old 10-21-2011, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by Mom2aej
Originally Posted by SparkMonkey
This is the best way to handle it. Once its started the only fix is to rip out the whole thing and start over.
Which is exactly what I did...except I tried to "unknit" so I didn't have to recast on, and ultimately spent several hours only to have to start back from square one.

Everything in life is a metaphor for everything else, and in this instance the directions said to work flat for the first three rows, then join, and here's me: I don't need to do that....I've done SEVERAL things in the round. How hard could it be?

Well, when You're dealing with a giant loop, pretty hard. So it was a lesson to me to LISTEN to others who have been there, and done that. :lol:

(The sweater is coming along great BTW. I'm about 4" in now!)