Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Is anyone familiar with raising chickens? >

Is anyone familiar with raising chickens?

Is anyone familiar with raising chickens?

Old 01-08-2011, 01:41 PM

The reason I ask is because we have a small flock of laying hens. I made a dessert that called for raw eggs with the eggs from my hens. Now usually I'm not squeamish of eating raw eggs mixed in with other ingredients BUT I'm not sure of the eggs from my hens.

So I guess I'm asking if it will be okay to eat. Everything is made from scratch so I hate to throw it out. The dessert is a tiramisu and there is zero acid in it at all, just a touch of alcohol.

Thanks!
Suzanne
Old 01-08-2011, 01:45 PM

Put the eggs in water, should they float throw them out.

And I read somewhere that eggs in the grocery store were guaranteed to be less than THREE MONTHS OLD!!!

I find this rather unsettling, to say the least. I was raised on a farm and my Grandma was firm about "trying them out" in water when we found them outside the nests.

I STILL can't believe this. But if so, I can't imagine that your own eggs would be bad. Just my opinion.
-------------------------------------------

Are You Buying Old Food at the Grocery Store? | Fooducate
Dec 15, 2010 ... Month-old meat? If, like most folks, you buy your produce and food at grocery ... meat shop is not less than 6 months old when you buy it… ... And btw…to the person who mentioned eggs in their house for 2 or 3 weeks…That is NOT the same as grocery store eggs that can often be MULTIPLE MONTHS OLD ...
www.fooducate.com/blog/2010/12/15/are-you-buying-old-... - Similar
How old are store bought eggs & how - Mother Earth News Forum
Generally the fresher eggs go to the grocery stores since people ... I would say they are probably up to 2 or 3 months old. ..... at eggs at the supermarket that sell for less then he could buy the grain to produce them. ...
www.motherearthnews.com/forums/forum.aspx?boardid=120... - Similar
Old 01-08-2011, 01:55 PM

I think you are probably more concerned with salmonella than with un-fresh eggs. It has been a while since I had chickens but I think you are safer with a small flock than with eggs from a factory farm. Be sure to wash the shells before using, a little bleach in the water would help. Salmonella is quite sensitive to mild disinfectants, including simple things like a dilute bleach solution. Just do NOT wash until you are ready to use, if you plan to store them for any length of time.

PS - I LOVE tiramisu!!
Old 01-08-2011, 01:55 PM
Power Poster

Are your chickens allowed to be outdoors and scratch in the dirt and eat good food? From what I have read, the salmonila(Sp?) is caused from the way chickens are being raised today. I think your eggs are safer than store purchased eggs.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:57 PM

I agree with ptquilts.....wash the shells before using and go ahead. BUT, be sure to treat the recipe you're making properly -- it will need refridgerating. And PLEASE, share the recipe!! I'm intrigued!
Old 01-08-2011, 02:03 PM

Farm fresh eggs are the best.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:37 PM
Power Poster

Suzanne, I also have a small flock of laying hens and have made Tiramisu many many times with the raw eggs from my girls. You need not worry about a thing, your eggs are healthier and more germ and bacteria free then any store bought egg. I take no extra precautions with washing the shells either, as long as they are clean (don't have mud or chicken poop on them)

My recipe calls for seperating the eggs then beat the whites with a pinch of sugar until soft peaks form and to mix the raw yolk in with the marszcapone cheese along with a bit of espresso and I always throw in a shot of booze! Fold in your egg whites and layer up with your lady fingers soaked in coffee. BTW tastes just as good made with plain old layer cake. Anyway, I have made this for years and have kept laying hens for probably close to 15 years now and have never ever had a problem with food borne illness. I also make chocolate mousse with uncooked eggs.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:31 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I'm so used to using store bought eggs. I do wash them (dirty or not) when I bring them in from the coop. They are always layed in the nest and yes I give them hen scratch twice a day and they do dig in the dirt as evidenced by all the holes in my pen and it has been kept in the fridge since it was made. It's 3 days old so it may be time to throw it out anyway

Feline fanatic, I make it just the way you do yours with the exception of soaking my lady fingers (homemade) in kahlua.

Thanks for all the help!
Suzanne
Old 01-09-2011, 08:31 AM

Were you talking about your dessert being 3 days old or the eggs? Eggs are good waaaaay longer than 3 days.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:05 AM

I'm sure your eggs are better in every respect than store bought.