Appliances in Cahoots

Old 09-12-2014, 03:34 PM

The well went out the day of my son's wedding. 70 people, no water, luckily I had ordered venue style port-a potties. I didn't trust the septic. We finally ran a couple hundred feet of hose to the neighbors tank. We knew how to do this because their water went out once and they ran hose to our tank. I'm a city girl living in the country and I sure don't love it. As Woody Allen said in some movie or other... "the country is too noisy"
Old 09-13-2014, 04:23 AM

Once, our gas heater blower and automatic flame ignition went out -- exactly one day after the warranty expired! Talk about getting frustrated!
Old 09-13-2014, 04:43 AM

All appliances are made to expire within 7 yrs........iPad died 7 days after warranty! Even electronics are created that way now! Should have replacement showers every 5-6 yrs!
Old 09-13-2014, 04:45 AM

I'm now 62 years old and remembering when my mothers appliances would conk out.....she said always in 3's!! At least it wasn't the washer, dryer, and ice-box together!!
Old 09-13-2014, 08:02 AM

Funny. We just replaced our dishwasher. It died a month or so after the microwave. I don't use that appliance, but the family did. We have not replaced it, to my dd disappointment.
Hopefully we won't have anything die, although my washing machine is acting funny. I wouldn't trade home ownership for renting. We just left a rental. But it stinks to have to pay for everything ourselves.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:34 AM
Power Poster

My dishwasher quit working. The one I wanted came only in stainless and my other appliances were white. I bought the stainless dishwasher and after it was installed the fridge and oven looked like second thoughts. End of story, I got all new appliances at the same time. Any electrical appliance that is 10 years old or older uses much more energy compared to the new ones so you are saving by replacing.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:42 AM

Any of you see the movie where the hamsters (gerbils? Whatever...) had to foil a plot to take over the world through appliances? Yeah, and we thought it was just a movie...
Old 09-13-2014, 11:01 AM

It started small as in size and price tags. $6 can opener - every electric kitchen gadget followed suit it finally ended with a $600 water heater. From start to finish 6 wks to the day. During this I kept hoping the old ugly green fridge would croak, but nooo it survived. Which turned out good in the end. My DH's Aunt put my name in on a drawing at some appliance store. They came out and traded me a brand new Amana fridge with bottom freezer for my ugly fridge and small chest freezer- I no longer was using. My electric bill went down just shy of $70 a month with the E fridge and E water heater. And of course the savings was spent ''smartly'' A trip to Hancock's during their Spring Fling sale. So you see there is a silver lining to follow the black clouds. : )
Old 09-13-2014, 12:21 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Stitchit123 View Post
It started small as in size and price tags. $6 can opener - every electric kitchen gadget followed suit it finally ended with a $600 water heater. From start to finish 6 wks to the day. During this I kept hoping the old ugly green fridge would croak, but nooo it survived. Which turned out good in the end. My DH's Aunt put my name in on a drawing at some appliance store. They came out and traded me a brand new Amana fridge with bottom freezer for my ugly fridge and small chest freezer- I no longer was using. My electric bill went down just shy of $70 a month with the E fridge and E water heater. And of course the savings was spent ''smartly'' A trip to Hancock's during their Spring Fling sale. So you see there is a silver lining to follow the black clouds. : )
Wow - what a difference in electrical costs!
Old 09-13-2014, 02:01 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Yep, it's something in the air......solar flares!!
http://www.vox.com/2014/9/12/6140209...xt-time-we-may

Jan in VA

Last edited by Jan in VA; 09-13-2014 at 02:03 PM.