Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
left over fabric - - receiving blankets? >

left over fabric - - receiving blankets?

left over fabric - - receiving blankets?

Old 09-21-2014, 09:01 AM

Default left over fabric - - receiving blankets?

I have a niece who is expecting her first baby in February. It has taken her some time to become pregnant... all the while her crazy aunt was grabbing Strawberry Shortcake fabric when she saw it. (my niece has red hair and loved Strawberry Shortcake while she was growing up) I have a baby quilt top made, a toddler quilt top made and I will do just one crib size that is just a panel with flannel backing and batting... but I still have a couple of yards of Strawberry Shortcake flannel left. I am thinking about receiving blankets. I have never done one of these and they seem simple, I just have to hem the edges right? You guys always have good ideas so I wanted to throw this out there to see if any of you have made receiving blankets and if they are as simple as I am thinking. Any thoughts? (And yes I know since I have a Strawberry Shortcake overload there will probably be a little boy in February )
Old 09-21-2014, 09:28 AM

I just had to look up what a receiving blankets was ...lol .. I think if you have the fabric it would be a waste not to make them for a matching set ..I dont think you can ever have too much for baby ... jj
Old 09-21-2014, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

Receiving blankets can be made with 2 layers using the birthing method and then you don't have to 'hem'.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:57 AM

I often make receiving blankets out of all the pretty flannel fabric . I make them 36x36 so they are big enough to wrap a older baby than a newborn. What i do is to cut fabric 36" square (1yd -9" on width) and then just turn under the edges twice and stitch. You can do a prerty stitch if you want to. the left over 9" can be made into a burp coth. You can also make "swaddling blankets" by WOF x 6-8" just turn the edges over and stitch making a long strip. Baby is then tightly wrapped in the strip and the flannel will stick to itself so as not to come undone.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:18 PM

I use 45" material (in flannel) and make the blanket square. I don`t think you can make them too large, as they can be used for a crib blanket or to cover a carrier (to carry baby to the car in winter) Yes, all you do is hem it, I usually
press the hem in it first, just makes it a little easier to sew. DID YOU SAY " I was going to toss some material out?
I never did that, and I have a room full to prove it.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:42 PM

Another idea for you....burp cloths made by using your flannel as a wide binding around the edges of store bought cloth diapers.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:10 PM

The "Self Binding Baby Blanket" would be nice. Also, a new baby can never have too many burp cloths.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:16 PM

Square receiving blankets are always a great gift. I round the corners of mine then serge the edges and crochet a shell stitch around the whole thing (that is the only thing I know how to crochet!)
Attached Thumbnails 100_0977.jpg  
Old 09-21-2014, 06:45 PM

I have for more years than I care to mention made receiving blankets for new wee ones. I take a yard and a quarter of flannel and back it by another yard and a quarter. Then I either bind the edge or I birth them and edge stitch. Everyone who gets them seems to like them. My daughter still has hers and her childrens!
Old 09-22-2014, 02:38 AM

Google the self binding receiving blankets. They are nice, and also easy to make, and no binding to do.