Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: left over fabric - - receiving blankets?

left over fabric - - receiving blankets?

I have a niece who is expecting her first baby in February. It has taken her some time to become pregnant... all the while her crazy aunt was grabbing Strawberry Shortcake fabric when she saw it. (my niece has red hair and loved Strawberry Shortcake while she was growing up) I have a baby quilt top made, a toddler quilt top made and I will do just one crib size that is just a panel with flannel backing and batting... but I still have a couple of yards of Strawberry Shortcake flannel left. I am thinking about receiving blankets. I have never done one of these and they seem simple, I just have to hem the edges right? You guys always have good ideas so I wanted to throw this out there to see if any of you have made receiving blankets and if they are as simple as I am thinking. Any thoughts? (And yes I know since I have a Strawberry Shortcake overload there will probably be a little boy in February )

I just had to look up what a receiving blankets was ...lol .. I think if you have the fabric it would be a waste not to make them for a matching set ..I dont think you can ever have too much for baby ... jj

Receiving blankets can be made with 2 layers using the birthing method and then you don't have to 'hem'.
    Retired teacher, loving it.
    Love quilting also.

I often make receiving blankets out of all the pretty flannel fabric . I make them 36x36 so they are big enough to wrap a older baby than a newborn. What i do is to cut fabric 36" square (1yd -9" on width) and then just turn under the edges twice and stitch. You can do a prerty stitch if you want to. the left over 9" can be made into a burp coth. You can also make "swaddling blankets" by WOF x 6-8" just turn the edges over and stitch making a long strip. Baby is then tightly wrapped in the strip and the flannel will stick to itself so as not to come undone.
    "In the crazy quilt of life, I'm glad you are in my block of friends."

I use 45" material (in flannel) and make the blanket square. I don`t think you can make them too large, as they can be used for a crib blanket or to cover a carrier (to carry baby to the car in winter) Yes, all you do is hem it, I usually
    press the hem in it first, just makes it a little easier to sew. DID YOU SAY " I was going to toss some material out?
    I never did that, and I have a room full to prove it.

Another idea for you....burp cloths made by using your flannel as a wide binding around the edges of store bought cloth diapers.
    Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

The "Self Binding Baby Blanket" would be nice. Also, a new baby can never have too many burp cloths.
    Happy Quilting Grandma of 15, 3 Greats

Square receiving blankets are always a great gift. I round the corners of mine then serge the edges and crochet a shell stitch around the whole thing (that is the only thing I know how to crochet!)
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have for more years than I care to mention made receiving blankets for new wee ones. I take a yard and a quarter of flannel and back it by another yard and a quarter. Then I either bind the edge or I birth them and edge stitch. Everyone who gets them seems to like them. My daughter still has hers and her childrens!

Google the self binding receiving blankets. They are nice, and also easy to make, and no binding to do.

Blog Entries
    Our baby charity cuts the one layer of GOOD flannel, square, and machine-serges the edges. Done!
    Good luck.
    cpfrog - "Those who sew together, grow together." - Amy Dickinson

I have made dozens of receiving blankets, especially for nieces. They all loved them. I use one yard of fabric for the front and another yard for the back, which makes the blanket 36 X 44, two layers. My daughter said the two fabrics don't stay straight when you wash them, so lately I have made a decorative stitch a little way from the edges. Looks good and holds the fabrics in place.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

I make mine similar to Nammie. I don't have a serger but my regular machine has some neat stitches and feet so I do a rolled hem around then get out my rotary blade that does skip slits so my crochet hook goes in easily. I also make burp cloths and may give bibs a try...
    I am too blessed to be stressed and too anointed to be disappointed!

Mine are made of cotton fabric for the front and flannel for the back. Have been doing this for years and have had many repeat requests.

Thank you for all of your thoughts! Nammie to 7 you blankets are adorable! Burp clothes are a great idea - I am sure I will have some smaller pieces for those. maviskw - I thought about the 2 pieces of fabric not behaving when they are washed... I think I will probably just sew cross hatches to help keep them together

I agree with lockesnest, I would birth them and then do a top stitch

Blog Entries
    If you make the receiving blankets square, they can double as a cloth diaper in a pinch. I made nice soft flannel diapers for my girls when they were babies. They were nicer to use than disposable, and easy to clean. I took apart a prefolded diaper and copied it to make my own with the second daughter.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Power Poster
    What an adorable blanket. Love the ducks and the crochet trim adds so much to the blanket. Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Homespun View Post
    Receiving blankets can be made with 2 layers using the birthing method and then you don't have to 'hem'.
    I made some flannel receiving blankets using this method, I top stitched them after I turned them right side out.

Power Poster
    i like using the birthing method and you can also make burp cloths they go over big!
    QUILTNMO

I also like the birthing method. After turning, I generally do a decorative stitch along the outside edge and stitch about a 10 inch square in the middle to hold them together.
    I have also done them where you sew the 2 pieces together with wrong sides together. Sew a good 1/2 to 1 inch around the entire blanket and then snip every 1/4 to 1/2 inch around to make a fringe. When washed, it frays and looks really cute. Very easy and simple.

I often purchase fabric with small (maybe 8X10 inch or whatever you find you like) block prints for babies. Then I make a receiving blanket, birth it and then sew the block in the center through both layers. Gives a bit of decoration and keeps the layers from shifting. Quick and easy!

If you have a lot of fabric, better throw in a couple of baby bibs!!
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Thank you for all of your thoughts!! I was so encouraged I finished my first ever receiving blanket today. I did the birthing method for the first time too. I am pretty happy with how it turned out. Now burp clothes... hhmmmm

Blog Entries
    I always thought receiving blankets were great in the summer, too. Going from warm outdoors into air conditioned stores always called for a light blanket to keep them from chilling.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.