Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Receiving blankets --

My daughter would like co-ordinating receiving blankets for her daughter that is expected to arrive in Dec.

I need some tips here. I don't have a serger which I thought would be the easiest.
    do you use two layers of flannel and birth them and then top-stitch ?
    do you do one layer and do a fancy 1/4 inch hem all the way around ?

What have you done and how did they wash up time after time ? Your replys are greatly appreciated.

Blog Entries
    I have taken fleece 36 x 36 inches square One Layer..And then I cut coordinating fabric strips 3 inches and use it as a binding and zigzag sewed it all the way around it. They go fast too. I have also did the same and used store bought satin binding.

this is my favorite design for receiving blankets because it using coordinating fabric on the front and back and the back fabric is folded to the front to make a mitered binding.

http://piecenquilt.blogspot.com/2009...-tutorial.html

this tute uses flannel for the front and back but i've also used just one side flannel and the other side regular cotton and it still soft.

Blog Entries
    I've done flannel both the ways you mentioned depending on the time of year (and your climate). We have very cold winters here. It also depends on the flannel. The pretty lightweight prints lend themselves to being doubled, but a heavy solid might not. I like cotton flannel for receiving blankets.

Blog Entries
    Back in the olden days( 56 years ago) we just used one 36 inch square of flannel, and hemmed with a flat narrow hem. Then we embroidered a cute design on one corner. We made for lots of washings, not for beauty,LOL

I actually bought some flannel at JoAnns yesterday while it was on sale, at $2.99/yd I purchase 1 1/3 yds, square it up and double hem each side, sometimes with a decorative stitch but mostly with a straight stitch. I have so many friends and relatives request them because they are larger than recv'g blankets you purchase, like the ones they use in the hospital, and they launder well. I usually will by a busy print and a coordinating dot. stripe or circle to go with it. They work really great for bath blankies too!

I cut fabric the same size as WOF. For example, if it's 44", I cut 44" of fabric. Then turn under to the front and add lace or a decorative stitch. (I only use one layer as it doesn't get really cold in southeast Texas.) These hold up good; I'm still using some for my grandkids that my mother made for their parents years and years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie_1963
    I actually bought some flannel at JoAnns yesterday while it was on sale, at $2.99/yd I purchase 1 1/3 yds, square it up and double hem each side, sometimes with a decorative stitch but mostly with a straight stitch. I have so many friends and relatives request them because they are larger than recv'g blankets you purchase, like the ones they use in the hospital, and they launder well. I usually will by a busy print and a coordinating dot. stripe or circle to go with it. They work really great for bath blankies too!
    these sound nice and so much easier to use on a newborn.

Power Poster
    the way i do mine for newborns in need is take 2 pieces of flannel cut 30x30 pur right sides togather sew all around turn inside out sew all around on outside good luck

Quote Originally Posted by QUILTNMO
    the way i do mine for newborns in need is take 2 pieces of flannel cut 30x30 pur right sides togather sew all around turn inside out sew all around on outside good luck
    This is the same way I made the blankets I donated to the pediatrics ward last Christmas, but I made them 40 x 40 for larger kids. They were well received and much appreciated. Will probably make more this Christmas as time allows.

Senior Member quilter in the making's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I just made some for my two new grandsons and used a cute nursery pattern cotton for one side and a baby flannel for the other. I cut the selvages off both sides and squared up one fabric, then measured it and cut the other fabric the same size. I then did the birthing method and then top stitched about 1/4" from the edges. They make great swaddling blankets as they're bigger than the usual receiving blankets. My daughter and daughter-in-law have both said it's their favorite blanket. So soft. Enjoy!

Blog Entries
    I did two layers together in a 40 inch square. Birthed, then trimmed with ric rac. But that was before I had decorative stitches. I'd probably use those now that I have a newer machine. Mine held up well with washing. Probably a good idea to pre-wash before putting them together though.

The receiving blankets I make are my most popular baby present. I generally use just one layer, though for a winter baby I sometimes make one two layer one. I cut the fabric WOF and as long (generally only 40-42 inches these days). I just double-turn the edges and use a decorative stitch, generally a feather stitch though just a nice wide zigzag looks good too. If you have a varigated thread, that just adds to the fun. It is easier if you round the edges rather than having straight corners. My son has twins, just under 2 years old, and they still use the receiving blankets! When I made the first 6 of them, he thought that was wayyyy too many. About 2 weeks later he asked for another 6 or 8 . Very useful items.

I sew with a group that does flannel receiving blankets for the local NICU. Those are double layer, and we sew them with a straight stitch, birth them, then finish with a decorative stitch. These are washed dozens and dozens of times in hot hospital washers, and they last a long time. The key is to use good flannel and pre wash them.

Pam

Thank you to everyone for the ideas ! I knew I could come here for fast help. Just need to get some of these little things out of the way. So much to do in such a short amount of time. It is a good break from the handquilting of her Sunbonnet Sue I am making from family members fabric. I will post when complete.
    I will try the mitered corner TUT and see how it goes; otherwise the birthing method with decorative stitching sounds good too. I like the two tone on one side.

Thank you again --
    Happy Quilting !

Blog Entries
    I really like the mitered bordered one. The middle square piece is 10" smaller than the outer piece.

I make a wof square of 2 pieces of flannel, round the corners, sew around with right sides together, leaving an opening. I then turn and edge stitch and do a little random stitching to keep the halves together. I have made over 100 of these for DD, DDIL and their friends. They are big enough to swaddle which makes the moms happy.

I had a favorite aunt make 40 inch square double flannel,birthed, then top stitched. I used them for 5 children and gave away commercial ones I received as gifts.They were so practical and the large size was usable from birth thru toddler.

I buy one an half yds of two pieces of flannel. One print and one plain. I square them and sew them together with top stitch. With the half yard left overs I make two burp bibs to go with the blanket. My mother made me some when I had my babies (50 years ago) and they were so much better then the boughten ones. Every one can use burp bibs also.

Great minds think alike. I bought first the flannel to make the burps and now I will hopefully get the flannel for the receiving blankets. LQS hope they still have some left. Daughter will be thrilled if everything matches. I remember when we had our children I was just tickled when someone gave us anything; match or not. LOL . There is so much to choose from these days.

Years ago when my children were born my bestie gave me pieces of flannel her mom hemmed for burps. I decided to make them double to use; so I made two for myself. Then I started making them for SIL's and they loved them and now I'm making them for the nieces and friends. It is so nice to give something you know they will use.