Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Receiving blankets -- >

Receiving blankets --

Receiving blankets --

Old 09-22-2011, 02:29 PM

I just made some for my two new grandsons and used a cute nursery pattern cotton for one side and a baby flannel for the other. I cut the selvages off both sides and squared up one fabric, then measured it and cut the other fabric the same size. I then did the birthing method and then top stitched about 1/4" from the edges. They make great swaddling blankets as they're bigger than the usual receiving blankets. My daughter and daughter-in-law have both said it's their favorite blanket. So soft. Enjoy!
Old 09-22-2011, 02:40 PM

I did two layers together in a 40 inch square. Birthed, then trimmed with ric rac. But that was before I had decorative stitches. I'd probably use those now that I have a newer machine. Mine held up well with washing. Probably a good idea to pre-wash before putting them together though.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:00 PM

The receiving blankets I make are my most popular baby present. I generally use just one layer, though for a winter baby I sometimes make one two layer one. I cut the fabric WOF and as long (generally only 40-42 inches these days). I just double-turn the edges and use a decorative stitch, generally a feather stitch though just a nice wide zigzag looks good too. If you have a varigated thread, that just adds to the fun. It is easier if you round the edges rather than having straight corners. My son has twins, just under 2 years old, and they still use the receiving blankets! When I made the first 6 of them, he thought that was wayyyy too many. About 2 weeks later he asked for another 6 or 8 <grin>. Very useful items.

I sew with a group that does flannel receiving blankets for the local NICU. Those are double layer, and we sew them with a straight stitch, birth them, then finish with a decorative stitch. These are washed dozens and dozens of times in hot hospital washers, and they last a long time. The key is to use good flannel and pre wash them.

Pam
Old 09-22-2011, 03:01 PM

Thank you to everyone for the ideas ! I knew I could come here for fast help. Just need to get some of these little things out of the way. So much to do in such a short amount of time. It is a good break from the handquilting of her Sunbonnet Sue I am making from family members fabric. I will post when complete.
I will try the mitered corner TUT and see how it goes; otherwise the birthing method with decorative stitching sounds good too. I like the two tone on one side.

Thank you again --
Happy Quilting !
Old 09-22-2011, 04:04 PM

I really like the mitered bordered one. The middle square piece is 10" smaller than the outer piece.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:12 PM

I make a wof square of 2 pieces of flannel, round the corners, sew around with right sides together, leaving an opening. I then turn and edge stitch and do a little random stitching to keep the halves together. I have made over 100 of these for DD, DDIL and their friends. They are big enough to swaddle which makes the moms happy.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:15 PM

I had a favorite aunt make 40 inch square double flannel,birthed, then top stitched. I used them for 5 children and gave away commercial ones I received as gifts.They were so practical and the large size was usable from birth thru toddler.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:14 PM

I buy one an half yds of two pieces of flannel. One print and one plain. I square them and sew them together with top stitch. With the half yard left overs I make two burp bibs to go with the blanket. My mother made me some when I had my babies (50 years ago) and they were so much better then the boughten ones. Every one can use burp bibs also.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:35 PM

Great minds think alike. I bought first the flannel to make the burps and now I will hopefully get the flannel for the receiving blankets. LQS hope they still have some left. Daughter will be thrilled if everything matches. I remember when we had our children I was just tickled when someone gave us anything; match or not. LOL . There is so much to choose from these days.

Years ago when my children were born my bestie gave me pieces of flannel her mom hemmed for burps. I decided to make them double to use; so I made two for myself. Then I started making them for SIL's and they loved them and now I'm making them for the nieces and friends. It is so nice to give something you know they will use.