Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
ARTHRITIS-Are My Hand Quilting Days Numbered? >

ARTHRITIS-Are My Hand Quilting Days Numbered?

ARTHRITIS-Are My Hand Quilting Days Numbered?

Old 03-31-2010, 05:01 AM
Power Poster

I have felt it coming for a while, but it seems that in the last week or so, it is becoming more intense. But.... is it possible that I am just overly concerned? Can anyone tell me if there are some days that are worse than others? If I drink some cranberry juice will it ease up a bit? Or.....does it ease up sometimes on its own?
Old 03-31-2010, 05:19 AM

I suffer from pretty severe carpal and find sometimes it just takes time to go away. I have also found that wearing a wrist brace while I sleep helps because that way I do not curl my wrist in and jam it up in the night so it hurts during the day. I am going to attempt hand quilting to try and keep my hands and fingers from going completely stiff. Good luck!
Hugs
April
Old 03-31-2010, 05:20 AM

you might want to get some aspircream...it works at least for awhile...open and close your hands everyonce in awhile..it helps
Old 03-31-2010, 05:21 AM

My mom swears by Tiger Balm, although its kinda smelly (it has cloves in it), you can buy it at Walgreens.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:24 AM
Power Poster

I'm in the carpal tunnel group..but I think I may also be getting some of the dreaded "arthur"...I do think that some days its worse than others. But they do say that with arthritis...to keep moving..the more you move, the better it is. I can't seem to keep still, so I guess as it progresses we'll find out. I take Aleve for all the pain and it does help!
Old 03-31-2010, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Rachel
My mom swears by Tiger Balm, although its kinda smelly (it has cloves in it), you can buy it at Walgreens.
I've heard good things about Tiger Balm recently. I've been going to get some and try it for my back. Thanks for the reminder. :-D
Old 03-31-2010, 05:30 AM

Arthritis has good days and bad days for awhile and then it has bad days and worse days. When I do hand work, I have to take a break every so often and just wiggle my fingers. They stiffen up holding a needle or a hoop too long.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:31 AM

Boston, I have severe arthritis in my back and it does seem worse with the weather. If there are big changes in the temperature I'm the first to know. I use alot of moist heat.
I lay on a heating pad with a moist towel. Maybe you can try that for your hand. If I do that for about 1/2 hour I do feel better. It can be very painful so look up some hand excersizes you can do on the computer. Hope your well soon. :-D
Old 03-31-2010, 06:13 AM

Well, if you are past 60 you definately have percentages on your side to develop the big "A". And I am and I do. Some days are better than others. Those others are the days I look for dirty dishes to keep my hands in hot water!

I remember my Gran use to say she got spring cramps in her hands.......IT'S SPRING, again.

Hope all your aches and pains are from pleasure and gain.

Blessings, Ruth
Old 03-31-2010, 06:17 AM

I go to a Rheumatologist for my arthritis and here are some helpful things to do. Tylenol Arthritis for pain, take Omega 3 Fish oil supplements and Rose Hips with Vit. C. I have a prescription anti-inflammatory also. They sell special fingerless gloves to keep the hands warm while working. Warm, moist compresses or soaks in the AM but in the PM when the hands are tired from the day - use cooling gels. Hope you find relief. It's a real bummer.