Audiobooks

Old 06-04-2016, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by E

ie;7568217
I got a slew of audiobooks from our library when they were getting new ones or replacing them. They also sell them for 25 cents. I got all my Jennifer Chiaverini books that way and also if you want a terrific set of books (14 of them) you can listen to the whole collection of William Kent Krueger (BUT YOU HAVE TO START WITH THE FIRST BOOK). "Iron Lake". They are mysteries and follow through his life. They take place in Minnesota and Wisconsin. I love the new books by Jennifer Chiaverini - semi-historical. I can sit at my sewing table, look out the window, do my sewing or cutting, watch the birds at the feeders and listen to an on the "edge of your seat" book. And also have a glass of wine or pop or coffee or tea or anything imbibable and then we are in our own little world. I am there right now (well, not exactly at this moment, but as soon as I get the house picked up - the sun is out, the birds are singing, I have a cup of ChaiLatte, the birds (inside) (two parakeets and two finches) and outside are singing up a storm and I am getting ready to cut 80 2-1/2 by 9" sashing pieces and four sashing borders. BIG quilt!!!! Made out of a couple of jelly rolls.

All this joy comes from doing what I love to do in my home, with my critters - oops, forgot Miss Bess - the Avatar - she is 13-1/2 years old today. Might get her a White Castle hamburger with no onions!!!! She is laying on the couch sawing logs, schnusking away!!!!! That's my Bessie. Have a great day today whatever you do - I hope it rains on no one!!!!!! Edie
Sounds like an ideal day! Hope Miss Bess gets to enjoy her hamburger.
Old 06-04-2016, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
I used to go to thrift stores for my audio books but now I head to the library. I particularly like James Lee Burke books read by the actor Will Patton. They are gritty books about crime and a policeman in Louisiana. Our library not only has about 500 books, they also are part of a lending library.
Thanks for the recommendation. I wrote it down, I like this type of books.
Old 06-04-2016, 03:02 PM

I got an audiobook in an auction box one time and popped it in the CD player of my car.
I was instantly hooked on them!
I love to read, and so did my Dad.
However, as i got older i found i have less time to read. Also, my eyesight isn't as good
and lots of reading gives me a headache.
My car always has 2 or 3 audiobooks in it at all times now.
I listen when i am driving back and forth to work or wherever.
I really enjoy them on long trips to pass the time.
I check mine at out at the local library and it's free,
so that makes it even better.
Old 06-04-2016, 03:03 PM

Check out jennifer chiaverini's Elm Creek quilts series. They are wonderful!
Old 06-04-2016, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by quilterchibb View Post
How do you get so many library cards? I can only get one?

Most places won't let you get a card if you're not a resident, but I "share" with my mom in Florida and a friend who lives in Washington state (they gave me their account info and I gave them mine). Also, Free Library of Philadelphia will let you get one of their cards for an annual fee. The fee is waived for active military and veterans.

I get get the majority of my ebooks and all of my audiobooks from the library.
Old 06-04-2016, 05:44 PM

I have been using audio books for 29 years. Our library is part of a consortium with 35-40 other libraries around the state (ILL) Getting a book is very easy. If you live in the city here, your library card is "free." i.e. you pay for it as part of your taxes. Outside the city limits the card is expensive ($100 for a family). The card price is based on what I pay in taxes. As an alternative, people outside the city, who live in the four county community college district can get a free card, again because their taxes pay for it. The college library is open to any resident in the college district whether they are registered as a student or not. The college library is part of the consortium, therefore, you have access to everything.
Old 06-05-2016, 03:40 AM

I am seldom without an audio book close by. As a single person, I crave "people noise" and I love being read to. So I combine my needs and desires and listen to books daily. The lull me to sleep at night, feed my brain during the day and provide me with a good rhythm when free motion quilting. We are sisters in listening!
Old 06-05-2016, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Flowergurl View Post
Check out jennifer chiaverini's Elm Creek quilts series. They are wonderful!
I'm baaaack!!!!!! I just thought I would add the names of Jennifer Chiaverini books that are not in the Elm Creek series. "Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker", "The Spymistress", "Mrs. Lincoln's Rival" and "Mrs. Grant and Madame Jule".
They are garnished true stories, but very good. I loved them. I hope she comes out with more Elm Creek and more stories about president's wives.

Looks like a nice day today - The sun is out and I have some brown spots in the yard that have to been itched and seeded. I spray painted my bottle tree yesterday, moved it to a new spot and have some really nice bottle (wine, etc. and four I got a the dollar store. They are red, yellow, clear and blue. I planted some flowers around the tree and it looks really sweet. I have an antique Coke bottle and a Dad's Old Fashioned Rootbeer bottle at the top. Those evil spirits can fly into the bottles and stay there. I cleaned the bottles I had (the tree holds 14) and found some kind of a web in the bottles. Sort of made it and the story very intriguing because I had some evil spirits in my bottles or then again, it could have been garden critters or spiders!!!!!! Plus everything else, I will spray paint an old milk can and put a vine-y type of plant in a flower pot and let it grow. And then I will cut up my sashing - out on the deck and wave hi to the neighbors, dog-walkers and parents with the kids on a trike or whatever they ride around on - Have a great day. Edie
Old 06-05-2016, 05:09 AM

I use OverDrive to download audio books. No mailing involved - no visits to library. Google 'Overdrive' and you will find info there. Or ask your librarian about it. Real simple. You just download the book(s) you want to Overdrive on your computer. You can listen to them on your MP3 player or your PC/laptop. Hope this helps.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:08 AM

Edie, to funny! I just made a bottle run this morning to pick some beautiful cobalt blue wine bottles.
They were free in a local facebook group.
I am saving all blue ones to make a bottle tree.
Can you post a picture of your bottle tree in the chit chat section here please?
I have seen those other titles by Jennifer but haven't listened to them yet.
I will have to do that soon.