Awkward Moments

Old 07-05-2016, 08:00 AM
Power Poster

The one that is most vivid is when I was in my last trimester with my oldest son. My clothes were getting to the point of "no more stretch". I had gone grocery shopping and it was cold enough my coat was to that point also but I kept it buttoned to just below my belly button. A friend of my husband's came over for supper. He and husband took groceries out of my arms. My lower button popped off and went flying, then my pants and underwear dropped to the floor. As I bent down to pick up my pants, I lost my balance and rolled to the side. No one said anything to me just moved quickly to help me up at that time. Then his friend says; "Geez, I have never seen a belly that big except on the old drunks at the bar! At least there's hope for hers! It'll be gone in a couple weeks, right??"
Old 07-05-2016, 08:57 AM

Got one for you. While living in Orlando, FL I would go to one of our sewing gal's house from time to time. She lives in an area of new homes where they all seem to look alike except maybe the color of the exterior or the door would be a different color. Well, it had been awhile and I brought one of the other sewing buddies with me this time. I had called the gal we were going to visit to let her know we were on our way. She told us to just come on in as she'd leave the front door unlocked for us. So once I got to her block I got confused and couldn't remember what her door color was. I thought it was this color, then that color and so forth. Thought I had the right house so we pulled into the drive, got out and tried the front door. It was locked so I thought, clever me..........hint, hint, let's just go thru the screened in pool area as I knew the patio door would be unlocked. Well, we got inside and saw this strange lady in the kitchen. It then dawned on me we had the wrong house. We backed out apologing as we left, got back into our car and drove off. I decided then to call our friend and find out what the house numbers were. I'd been only 3 houses off so drove down to the correct house, parked in the drive and went in. Correct house this time. I'd forgotten something in the car so went out to retrieve it when I looked down the block to see cop cars in front of the house we've been to before. As I worked for the city police dept. thought it only honest to go down and explain what happened and prayed they wouldn't cart me off for breaking and entering............well just entering but in Orlando going into someone's home uninvited is basically a crime. I showed them my badge as I worked as a CSI tech and I got off with a warning to be sure next time whose houe I'm walking into. Boy, was that close. Now I can laugh about it but at the time it wasn't funny for anyone. I felt so sorry for the gal we scared half to death when we walked into her house. Orlando is full of crime even in the daylight so I'm sure she was thinking she'd get robbed or worse.

Now I live in a small town in Iowa where everyone knows everyone, waves even if they don't know you. You can leave your house unlocked as well as your car in a parking lot. Neighbors keep an eye on you and your house when you're gone. So much friendlier than in Orlando where you don't even look their way when you pass by them. Sorry Orlando but its true.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:09 AM

I also have a mistaken car story. I was spending the day doing errands so had stopped to get a soda to drink while in the car. I came out of the grocery store, opened the drivers' side of the car and climbed in. I had the seat belt on and and was having a problem with my key in the ignition when I looked in the cup holder and there wasn't a cup in it. Then I took a good look around and realized that none of the stuff I left on the passenger seat was there. I realized my mistake and quickly unbelted myself and was climbing out of the car when the actual owner arrived.....and he was annoyed, probably thinking I was trying to steal his car. All I could stammer out was that my car was in the slot next to his in the parking lot....same make, model and color...first 3 letters on the license plate were the same and......oh yes, and by the way, my key opened the lock to his door. He saw what I was talking about, made me show him how my key worked in his lock, tested his key in my lock (it didn't work), told me he was driving to the car dealership immediately to have his locks changed....and he quickly drove away.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:19 AM
Power Poster

I guess a lot of us have had the "wrong car" experience...especially since there are so many of the same models on the road. Once when at the local ball park for one of my son's baseball games, my daughter and I decided we'd go pop over to the nearby store to get some snacks for everybody. It was a friendly community where all the families at the ball park felt safe and we often didn't lock our car and left the windows down because of the heat. We got to the car and both hopped in... then started to notice the unfamiliar things in it... including a woman's purse! DD and I both realized we were in the wrong car at exactly the same moment and looked at each other, wordless, and screamed, "AHHHHHH!" just like Kevin in Home Alone. We couldn't get out of that car fast enough! Our car was parked right beside it, an exact twin. Lucklily the owner was watching the ball game and never knew.

And by the way... what a dummy to leave her purse in an unlocked car!
Old 07-05-2016, 10:17 AM

Thank you all for the belly laughs.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:41 AM

I got married at my sister's house. The day of the wedding one of her friends was answering the door for the guests and, of course, did not know many of my or my husband's friends. She told us later that a lady came in with 2 small children, very nicely dressed, and she greeted them and asked her to sign the guest book. She remembered the lady looking at her oddly when she did this. After the lady signed the book, the friend asked her if she was there for Janie or Bruce and the lady asked, "Who are they?" "The bride and groom, of course." "Oh, my heavens," the lady said, "I thought this was my friend's baby shower!" whereupon she turned and quickly exited with her children. We all had a wonderful laugh about it after the ceremony and many told their own stories of mistaken cars and/or houses.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:31 PM

I left work one day in California for a doctor's appointment. I walked across my employer's large parking lot to my vehicle, drove to the medical clinic and walked across it's huge parking lot, into the lobby, up the elevator and down a ways on that floor to the sign-in counter. I was waiting in that line when the lady behind me tapped me on the shoulder to say I might want to check the back of my dress. WELL, before I left work I had made a powder room stop and the entire back of my dress was totally stuffed inside my pantyhose, exposing my entire back side...not a pretty sight! To think of all those distances I walked and those who may have seen. Needless to say, from then on I keep checking and double checking the back of dresses that I wear. ;-)
Old 07-05-2016, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
These are great!

Watson, your story had me laughing out loud, but Marion's almost made me wet myself. Have you ever been on an escalator again??!
Lol. Yup. But very carefully!!
Old 07-05-2016, 12:58 PM

Everyone's story is very funny. I've enjoyed reading them and laughing.
Sue
Old 07-05-2016, 01:35 PM

I went to a job interview at a big office building wearing a nice skirt and blouce. As I'm leaving, walking across a big lobby I notice its getting harder and harder to walk. I realized my slip was falling down! By the time I got to the doors it was at my ankles. I waddled to my car as fast as I could and slipped it off my feet in the car. I was wondering what people were staring at!