Awkward Moments

Old 07-05-2016, 04:38 PM

Many years ago, my first husband and I lived in Culver City, CA, which at the time was home to several movie studios. One day we stopped at one of the first Trader Joe's in the area, walked in and split up -- I was supposed to get the snacks, he was supposed to get the drinks. After I had the snacks I walked over to the drink cases, and saw what I thought was my husband, contemplating his choices, so I stuck my hand in his back jeans pocket, gave him a nice little squeeze, and asked what the hold-up was. No answer was forthcoming, so I glanced up -- into the face of Tom Selleck, wearing a blue denim shirt identical to the one my husband was wearing (he showed up a couple minutes later.) Of course I wanted to melt into a puddle on the floor but Mr. Selleck just laughed and said it was a natural mistake to have made ...
Old 07-05-2016, 05:03 PM

Oh lucky you to have tweaked Tom Selleck's booty! LOL
Old 07-05-2016, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Flowergurl View Post
Oh lucky you to have tweaked Tom Selleck's booty! LOL
My thoughts exactly! I would've said, "Sorry not sorry. But if you were offended, and you want to get even..." (then I'd turn around and offer him mine).
Old 07-05-2016, 08:04 PM

It was the late 70's. Disco was all the rage. Sparkly clothes were in style, and everybody who knows me knows that I like sparkly things. I bought myself a skin-tight sparkly shirt, and a pair of platform shoes and I was ready to boogie. I was 18 and living in Germany. I was of a legal age to drink over there. So a group of my friends and I decided to go to a discoteque. Of course I wore my sparkly shirt. It was made out of some sort of stretchy polyester mesh material. Like a pair of panty-hose, it was tiny before I put it on, and then stretched to fit me. So we get to the disco, have a couple of drinks, and some hot guy comes over and asks me to dance. One of those mirrored disco balls was spinning overhead, so sparkly colored lights are dancing around the room. I start dancing. I notice that my partner is looking at me with a big grin on his face. I'm thinking, "This guy is really into me." Black lights are on, strobe lights are flashing. People seem to be looking at me and pointing. Apparently I'm a better dancer than I had previously thought. I'd had a couple of drinks and I was feeling bold, so I kicked my dance moves into high gear (think John Travolta). My partner kept trying to talk to me, but the music was so loud I couldn't hear him. The music ended and I went back to my friends, who were pointing at me and laughing as I headed back to my table. Turns out I'd made an unwise choice in wearing a white bra with my black and silver sparkly shirt, and when the black light was shining on me, it looked like I was dancing in my bra.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:10 PM

A few years ago my then 11-year old son was invited to a birthday party at a fun center type place (laser tag, trampolines, arcade, etc) where plenty of parents were supervising. I knew a lot of the parents from our small school, so didn't feel compelled to stay.

My husband had dropped us off since there were no close parking spaces. He said he'd circle around if he needed to.

"Keep the heat on, whatever you do," I said, bundling my coat tighter around myself.

I hurried in to the party place with my son. Chatted up with moms about pickup time, greeted the birthday boy, and then left, excited for a rare dinner date with just my man. I love to flirt with him still in midlife!

When I came out, the wind was really whipping up cold in my face, so I kept my head down. I picked my way down the steps and toward the parking lot. Didn't see our vehicle where it had been. Looked up and saw a familiar vehicle circling toward me. Put my head back down and wished for a scarf.

The guy pulled up, leaned over and opened the door for me.

I hopped in , head still down, straightened my windblown hair, and as I dropped my purse at my feet, said, "Whew!!! Brrr! It's cold. But hey, Babe ! I'm all yours now. Are you hungry for dinner, or do you just want to go parking like old times?"

That's. When. I. looked.over.

"Woops! Sorry! You're not my husband!"

I grabbed my purse and hopped out quicker than I'd hopped in!

My husband was waiting in OUR same kind of vehicle right behind him.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:43 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DDuMouchel View Post
Many years ago, my first husband and I lived in Culver City, CA, which at the time was home to several movie studios. One day we stopped at one of the first Trader Joe's in the area, walked in and split up -- I was supposed to get the snacks, he was supposed to get the drinks. After I had the snacks I walked over to the drink cases, and saw what I thought was my husband, contemplating his choices, so I stuck my hand in his back jeans pocket, gave him a nice little squeeze, and asked what the hold-up was. No answer was forthcoming, so I glanced up -- into the face of Tom Selleck, wearing a blue denim shirt identical to the one my husband was wearing (he showed up a couple minutes later.) Of course I wanted to melt into a puddle on the floor but Mr. Selleck just laughed and said it was a natural mistake to have made ...
Yeah.... SUUUUUUUUURE. You totally didn't know that wasn't your husband... (just teasing).
Old 07-06-2016, 02:20 AM

SewingSew, I had a similar experience with shoes. While in college, I had an early class and my roomy was sleeping late, so I got dressed in a darkened room. When I was halfway to class I noticed that I had two different shoes on and didn't have time to walk all the way back and then get to class on time. It happens that I had several pairs of flats in the same style but in different colors. What I was wearing was a navy on one foot and, on the other, a brown and beige. I was on my way to speech class and was one of the speakers that day !
Old 07-06-2016, 04:01 AM

These stories are really funny. I think MarionQuilts wins so far. I'd love to see anyone top that. It's sadly comforting to know I'm not the only one who does ridiculous things. The Tom Selleck story was great! Loved the naked kids in the car situation. And the girl who walked across the parking lot with her skirt hiked up was a riot! Thank you all for making me laugh.

GailG, I was telling my son about leaving the house with different shoes on and he laughed and said the same thing happened to him recently. Must be genetic...

The breaking and entering story had me on the edge of my seat. It is super ironic that you are a cop. I wonder if an "intruder" has ever been shot under such circumstances? A similar thing happened to me about 15 years ago. We were living in Ohio in a suburban neighborhood. The houses next to me looked similar. The woman next door had past away and people were coming and going all day paying their codolences. There was a deck off my kitchen with a sliding glass door, and I heard people talking as they opened my sliding door and helped themselves to a glass of water and sat down at the kichen table. They looked up as I walked in the room and asked, "So are you friend or family?"
Old 07-06-2016, 04:13 AM
Power Poster

My most recent story happened last week at our Homeownwers Association Meeting. The subdivision has a property management company. We are new here so only second meeting for us. Comments were being made and one woman said "why can't we fire (name of property management person who attends our meetings and supposed to keep up with things)? She is less than useless." Awkward moment. That property management woman woman says "wait a minute - I'm right here". Whoops! First woman didn't skip a beat. She proceeded to list all the times she needed something and property management woman didn't respond. It took the meeting a while to regroup.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:51 AM

You all made my day. I have too many of them to list. Thanks!