Back to the Classroom

Old 01-02-2011, 07:50 PM

I have to go back tomorrow. I have enjoyed my two weeks off and did get a lot of things accomplished, even though a couple of days I did nothing but read and relax. My husbnd told me I deserved those days I did nothing, even when we had to order out dinner. He's so sweet.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by jayelee
Tomorrow is back to school for me also. I teach at a Christian School that is just getting back on its feet I am the only teacher for school age children 1st grade and up. We also have a preschool teacher and a couple of daycare teachers.I have one first grader , one second grader, two third graders, two fifth graders, one tenth grader and two seniors that have been with me for four years now. The rest are new this year, very busy but I do miss it.
Sounds very challenging!! But I am sure you are great at what you do. How do you manage??
Old 01-02-2011, 08:41 PM

Well some of the older kids help out with reading and spelling with the little ones when they need extra help and I have one boy that is great in math and loves to work with the little ones He thinks he would like to be a teacher far cry from four years ago he wanted to be a truck driver He just said to me Miss Jaye without you I would never have made it to my senior year We get the kids Public Schools in our area have thrown away for one reason or another. We refuse to throw them away
Old 01-02-2011, 08:47 PM

I go back tomorrow too. I have highschoolers though. It's a lot of fun, and I missed them over the break.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:21 AM

I'm right behind you guys! I'm a high school registrar and I teach beginning sewing I&II one period a day and I handle the winter formal registration, which is this month so back to busy busy busy!!
Old 01-03-2011, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by rebeccai
Hi everyone, I hope you all are having a very Happy New Year! I just want to say that I have enjoyed looking at all of the beautiful quilts, reading up on quilting advice, and just reading and browsing the board. BUT now our winter break from school is over and I will be heading back to the classroom on Tuesday. I am a 4th grade teacher and have to return to my wonderful children who I truly miss. Hopefully I will find time to stop by and visit with all of you. Most of all I hope I get a chance to begin some of my quilting projects soon!!! Everyone here from the beginner to the veteran quilter has been a true inspiration.
You might want to share your love of quilting with your students for arts and crafts. My students always enjoyed sewing, especially when I convinced the principal that a sewing machine was a must as a part of my curriculum. I used the sewing lessons to help them make things that enriched their geography and social studies lessons. Their parents were happy that I was teaching them something so useful that was beyond the regular classes.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:28 PM

We are working on miniquilts this year.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by jayelee
Well some of the older kids help out with reading and spelling with the little ones when they need extra help and I have one boy that is great in math and loves to work with the little ones He thinks he would like to be a teacher far cry from four years ago he wanted to be a truck driver He just said to me Miss Jaye without you I would never have made it to my senior year We get the kids Public Schools in our area have thrown away for one reason or another. We refuse to throw them away
OMG I love this story and that is exactly why we are in this profession. You are a great teacher!!

:D
Old 01-04-2011, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Tropical
Originally Posted by rebeccai
Hi everyone, I hope you all are having a very Happy New Year! I just want to say that I have enjoyed looking at all of the beautiful quilts, reading up on quilting advice, and just reading and browsing the board. BUT now our winter break from school is over and I will be heading back to the classroom on Tuesday. I am a 4th grade teacher and have to return to my wonderful children who I truly miss. Hopefully I will find time to stop by and visit with all of you. Most of all I hope I get a chance to begin some of my quilting projects soon!!! Everyone here from the beginner to the veteran quilter has been a true inspiration.
I have been wanting to make a class quilt but I'm not sure how to go about this. I just thought it would be something nice for us to have in our classroom. I often tell the kids that we are a family because we spend most of our time together throughout the day. They have really learned to respect, show compassion, and just be there for one another. I thought a class quilt would be a good way to show a sense of community in our classroom.

You might want to share your love of quilting with your students for arts and crafts. My students always enjoyed sewing, especially when I convinced the principal that a sewing machine was a must as a part of my curriculum. I used the sewing lessons to help them make things that enriched their geography and social studies lessons. Their parents were happy that I was teaching them something so useful that was beyond the regular classes.