BATS!

Old 08-06-2010, 04:58 AM
Power Poster

We have a colony of bats that summers over in our eaves and behind the chimney. They come back every year. I love having them because they eat so many bugs. In 15 years we have lived here we only had a bat get in the living area twice. DH was able to catch #1 in a towel and release it outside. #2 wasn't so fortunate. My Norwegian Forest Cat spotted the bugger and jumped straight up 5 to 6 ft into the air and brought him down. DH then got the bat in a towel and put him outside but he had been to badly injured by the cat and couldn't fly. We left him outside and he was gone by next morning so I'm not sure what happened to the little bugger.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by amy WI
I had bats last year. Thankfully my landlord had a company come in and make it so they can get out but not back in. We watch them in the backyard every night. They are okay as long as they are not flying above my head while I'm trying to sleep. I was so scared and alone when that happened. I was glad my cell was next to the bed so I could call a friend to get it out. The second one was in the living room and I watched it go out the bottom crack in the door. Hissed at me the whole time. Yuck!
Sounds like you hired your local Batman! As for the bat hissing at you... uppity little things, aren't they! :!:
Old 08-06-2010, 05:42 AM

Boy! Could I give you some bat stories but I'll stick to the most recent one. My husband thought he finally figured out how the bats were getting into our house so he and the neighbor sealed the hole at dusk after a good number of bats flew out. Boy were those bats mad they couldn't get back in! Two days later we went camping, came home and found three bats either dead or dying in the house. Got rid of those, finished unpacking and we all took a nap around the living room. I woke up, saw movement above my sleeping daughter's head on the couch and realized it was ANOTHER bat on top of the couch. Then saw another on the floor! We had a couple more here and there, but they were all knocking on death's door so at least this time, they weren't flying at our heads! When my husband went down to the basement, he saw about 10 dead ones. They ended up trapping the baby bats in the house when they sealed the entrance. But, knock on wood, we are bat free for the first time since we moved in!
Old 08-06-2010, 05:52 AM

Bats fly at night, so if their access to roost is sealed up in the daytime, they will be sealed in. I'd rather seal the area up at night and give them a chance to find someplace else to roost. Having bats around is great bug control but I sure don't want them in my house! So far, so good although there always seems to be a couple who persist in trying to live in our workshop attic. That's our storage area, so we don't want bat droppings all over everything. Ick.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:52 AM
QKO

With our two rat terriers on patrol, mice don't last long at our house, or yard. I've never seen anything that could kill mice as fast as our Princess. And outside the fence, Sammie our barn cat takes care of business.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:24 AM

I'm glad you all share my dislike!
yes outside is fine and the bugs have caused me alot of problems this year, so they can eat away!
We usually get chipmunks in the house, they don't last long either.
but cause quite a ruckus with 5 labs and 2 cats chasing them!
and it wouldn't have been so bad but we have low ceilings in our bedroom area and waking up to it swooping inches above me was not fun!!!
Old 08-06-2010, 07:53 AM
Power Poster

Only have 'em in my belfry - and they are not leaving either. lol
Old 08-06-2010, 08:20 AM
Power Poster

oh my gosh. my girlfriend in Houston just got a kitten to be friends with her older cat. she happened to let the kitten out in her atrium to play. went back and it was playing with a bat on the floor!!! she called animal control. a policeman came out and took the bat. her cats had to go have shots and then were put in quarantine. that was the end of May and the quarantine doesn't end till the end of this month.
luckily they let her keep them in her condo and not board them with the Vet. The bat was rabid!!
Old 08-06-2010, 08:25 AM

I've had a bat in my house twice. Both times I opened a door and the bats found their way out. I never try to chase them out - that scares them and takes longer than letting them find their own way out.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:29 AM

I like bats they are good for the garden but I don't think I would EVER like one in my bedroom with me. Hope you get a nap in when the light is up.