Beware of Key Logger Virus

Old 08-15-2010, 01:35 PM

I've been dealing with the aftermath of a keylogger virus that I'm pretty sure was introduced to my computer by e-mail but I'm not positive yet. I don't know where the first hack came from so please check all your e-mail, bank, credit card, cell phone, etc accounts for unauthorized use. I would hate to see you all have to deal with this mess.

If you think you have a virus on your computer here is a freeware program that is pretty thorough from
http://www.safer-networking.org. It is called Spybot Search & Destroy. I just used the 1.6.2,46 version. It did a really good job of cleaning up. And did I mention FREE?

To make a long story short: someone was able to access my cell phone account, change my security settings, address, access all sorts of information including my home e-mail. Then, they changed all that information for my cell phone, bought $1200 worth of new phones with 4 new contracts, shipped them somewhere, etc. Anyway, I found out by accident (I don't check the phone account everyday) because I needed some information for one of my children.

Unfortunately for the hacker, I printed all the documentation (I'm a little anally old-fashioned). When the cell company sent me an e-mail to document the fraud alert on the account, it sent an execute code to delete my whole inbox. Good thing I back up my drive.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:42 PM

Dang!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Scary! :|

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 08-15-2010, 03:11 PM

Crooks are everywhere.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:32 PM

My Dh recconends AVG anti-virus with malware and e-mail scanner. Cheaper than most, and catches the bad things before they're installed on your computer. Spy Bot is excellant for removing tracking cookies and some malware.
Google for the site. My DH works in the computer industry. He knows what he's talking about.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:38 PM

Believe it or not, I actually have 3 firewalls in place and the darn thing still got in.

I can not give out a lot of details on the hacker but I am pretty sure I know more about them than they would like. I think the moral of this story will be the criminal mind should never cross a dedicated angry nerd with a mission to regain her security clearances.

I just wanted people to be aware that there are threats out there and ways to prevent it. We get way too complacent about things. I am willing to bet most people never check their phone activity until a bill arrives, credit card charges between billing cycles, bank accounts, etc. Unfortunately, if a person has basic information about you the rest is fairly easy to access especially if we keep records on our computers.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:54 PM
Power Poster

I'm so sorry for you!! Bummer :(
Thanks for the heads up.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:05 PM
Power Poster

That IS really scarry! I wish they could catch some of these theifs, why do you never hear of anyone getting caught doing this? Its so sad that they get away with so many peoples money, ect!
Old 08-15-2010, 08:30 PM

By the way, did anyone see the advertisement banner at the bottom of the page? It is from webwatchernow.com "Stealth Key Logger Invisibly records every Keystroke! Remote Access, Leaves No Trace". Oh, I forgot to add there is a "click here button on the banner as well."

This is how easy it is to get hold of one of these. It takes about 4 lines of code to write. Many people do get caught using this stuff but it is always from stupid mistakes like using their home address to buy things, etc.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:37 PM

Wow! Thanks for the headsup. Sorry you had to go through this. What a headache.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:13 PM
Power Poster

That is horrible. I don't know why people do that.