Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
cameras at stop lights...is Big Brother watching you >

cameras at stop lights...is Big Brother watching you

cameras at stop lights...is Big Brother watching you

Old 05-17-2011, 09:21 AM

They are here and putting more up. And guess what, people are still running them and causing accidents. My DH is a retired officer, he said they stop no one from running a red light, red light runners will continue to do so because it is in their heads they can do as they please.

The cameras are nothing more than money makers for the cities, counties and states. And yes, if your front tires cross the stop bar, you are ticketed. That's whay the bar is painted on the street. Here you will find car after car, stopped...........IN THE CROSSWALK.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:14 AM

We have them in Knoxville and Oak ridge TN. I get fussed at by both DH and sons because I drive the speed limit, stop at lights, yield at yield signs and look both ways before I pull out from a red light. I was almost t-boned by a loaded logging truck that sped thru a red light. If I had not looked right my DGS would have been right in front of the truck as he came barreling thru the intersection. They can fuss all they want. I would rather be cautious.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:37 AM

we have them here in tucson.put in last year,and they have made the city lots of money.There are some pretty bad drivers here.As Needles said,they do take your picture if you so not stop below the line below the crosswalk(if that makes sense.and then you have to go to class for 8 hrs.at a cost of 250.00,or pay the 322.00 dollar fine.I havent been caught yet,I do my best to avoid the intersections that have them.both my daughters have been caught,new drivers, and its a wake up call for them but they are more cautious
Old 05-17-2011, 11:47 AM
Power Poster

Isn't that why we have yellow lights? To give us a chance to stop before the light is red?
Old 05-17-2011, 11:50 AM

My ex son-in-law is a cop...the thing is..once the photo snaps they have no way of telling if you stopped or kept going thru the red light..They have them here in California in the "bigger" towns. crafty_linda_b

Originally Posted by lynnie
just courious, how many of you and what state are you in that have cameras at the stop lights. Here on Long Island, NY we have them at the main roads, if even the front of your car goes over the line, the photo is taken and you're sent a ticket.
i guess it frees the cops up for bigger things, but still, if only the front crosses the line, the photo light goes off and you're billed, (and i heard it's impossible to fight).
Old 05-17-2011, 11:57 AM

they make me mad we got a ticket in the mail for 95.00 and the bad thing is when you look at the pic. its wasn't even the same make as our car. and no one in this house has been to that area in 10 yrs. and they make them hard to fight
Old 05-17-2011, 11:57 AM

They are in West Virginia, also.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:35 PM

It is very frstrating to wait for a long string of cars to pass through a red light when it is obviously green for you because someone is ignoring the yellow lights. I'm sure more accidents happen because of this. In Springfield, MO, I heard that someone took this to court-MO Senator - "ST. LOUIS -- A state senator sponsoring a bill banning red-light cameras was ticketed as a result of one of the traffic cameras. Sen. Jim Lembke, R-St. Louis, says he will appeal his conviction on Friday in St. Louis Municipal Court to a higher court." - from KY3 TV news. "ST. JOSEPH, Mo. -- St. Joseph will join 30 other cities in Missouri using cameras to catch drivers who run red lights. The City Council agreed Monday to hire American Traffic Solutions to operate red light cameras. The Missouri Department of Transportation also is part of the contract because some of the busiest intersections in St. Joseph are on state highways." There is usually two sides to every story.....
Old 05-17-2011, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
We have them. I'm not too concerned about them. I don't know...it is kind of like radar detectors. Who needs a radar detector if you are going to drive the speed limit? Or do you need it because you want to speed & know where the cops are so you can slow down? (Like my husband) Same with the cameras. If you don't run lights then nothing to worry about. Speeding & running lights are against the law. Guess it is all about each persons perspective on right & wrong.
(emphasis by qbquilts!)

Totally agree with you on both counts. I admit, I do sometimes speed, especially when I'm judging by traffic and not by my dashboard. However, if I'm ever pulled over for speeding, I will not use the "but everybody does it" excuse.

We have major "red light runners" and "intersection blockers" issues in my city. The area by the mall, which is probably the worst area, recently got new traffic lights. They have a blue light on the back when the light is red so police can better say that the person did in fact run the light.

No red light cameras yet. But what about someone making a legal right turn? Completely stops before the line and then proceeds with caution to make a right turn. Do these cameras catch those people or are they okay?
Old 05-17-2011, 02:21 PM

I would be in soooo much trouble if I drove in some states, I was riding with my DD who lives in AZ and I asked her why she didn't move into the other lane which had little to no traffic and she said you needed a pass to drive in those and that they do take pictures, if I would have been traveling through I would have most certainly gotten a ticket in the mail! LOL