Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Can You Tell Me About Safflower Oil for Losing Weight? >

Can You Tell Me About Safflower Oil for Losing Weight?

Can You Tell Me About Safflower Oil for Losing Weight?

Old 04-08-2010, 03:27 PM
Power Poster

The other night my hubby went to church. I was at home.
He told me that while chit chatting the discussion turned to weight loss and one man said, that since he started taking a tablespoon of safflower oil a day, that he started losing four pounds a month.
My husband is one to jump on a lose weight fast and easy scheme. :shock:
He has high cholesterol and high triglycerides and get this,
he hates for me to tell him anything about medical stuff even though I was a cna and not the dumbest knife in the drawer,...but he will mention stuff to me anyway!
It's like a game of: Only tell me what I want to hear!
I am going to go look it up, but I have dial up. (very slow)
I wondered if any of you have heard of this diet?
Old 04-08-2010, 04:14 PM

"Safflower oil and conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) can help postmenopausal diabetic women lose weight and lower blood sugar levels. Each subject took 1 tsp daily of each oil. This reduced belly fat and lowered blood sugar." This was from OSU research news.

Sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 04-08-2010, 05:30 PM
Pam

OK, I use only olive oil. This is supposed to be a healthy fat. I think ANYONE can loose 4 lbs a month if they want to. Save your $$ and buy the good stuff! at least olive oil adds to the flavor of your food. You will find that safflower oil is flavorless.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Google Goddess

I would check with Dr. first and see if hubby will start walking or exercising!

Go on a diabetic diet (weigh the food) and he will loose weight.

Craftybear
Old 04-08-2010, 06:37 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by craftybear
I would check with Dr. first and see if hubby will start walking or exercising!

Go on a diabetic diet (weigh the food) and he will loose weight.

Craftybear
:cry: that's the whole problem!
He was forced to retire bc of his health and go on disability. In the past two years having emphysema, he went from 235 to 260, bc the only exercise he gets is what he can do 3 times a week at a therapy place.
This past week he did start going there and walking on the treadmill on the in between days.
He won't go on a 'real' diet. The doctor told him to eat two pieces of meat a day, the size of his palm, and one finger thick,...only two starches a day and no sugar or caffeine.
I'm not saying that 'doing' it, is easy, but it's an easy to remember formula.
I bake all his meats and would cut down the starches, except he complains, and he won't eat vegetables unless I 'doctor' them.
I have multiple chemical sensitivities so sometimes we eat different foods.
I don't eat all the chemicals he does.
Here at home his diet is not that bad, but after dinner when he is watching tv he snacks on crackers.
It is all the eating away from home.
I did find a little information and read it to him and said, this is the only oil those rats were ingesting so your going to have to eliminate all foods with other oils, fats or leavening.
he gets mad when i tell him the truth and says I don't need all the preaching.
I say, "I am not preaching. You asked me!"
I get so frustrated!
Not all, but a great deal of his problems is his obesity.
The sleep apnea for example.
Oh well, nuff moaning I guess. He's gonna do what he's gonna do. thanks you guys, I guess i needed to keep him from getting his butt stuck in a crack and ending up on u-tube or something :lol:
Old 04-08-2010, 06:46 PM

Ah Sweet Mousie...I know exactly what you're going thru, I have two brothers and a sister that are overweight (more so than your hubby) I, myself weighed 300 lbs last year. You've told him and his doctor told him. He's not going to do anything until he's ready to...and it will probably take being really scared for him to do it. Problem with that is, sometimes if they wait until they're scared, it's too late... :(

Sit down and have a chat...tell him that you're not going to tell him anymore....that you know he knows what's good for him and what's not, and that you're sorry he doesn't want to stay with you longer than what he's going to if he doesn't start to watch what he eats. Then sit back and watch, and don't offer any suggestions at all...not even if he asks. I'll bet that it doesn't take long for him to do it on his own and start asking you for healthier foods! :)
Old 04-09-2010, 04:51 AM

I say stop buying the crackers...it's the PM munching that's getting him. He can try and trick himself into thinking he's doing what the doc says, but additionally he's probably eating another 500 cals in the evening in crackers.

He *could* do the safflower thing. I don't think the 100 cals will kill him, but you could say...well instead of eating *just* the oil, how about we do it on a salad, with some balsamic vinegar? "I'd hate to see you trying to gag down a spoon of oil all by itself each day" :D :D :D

I've never heard of the benefits of safflower oil, just olive. I do know that safflower oil goes bad quickly, and it could be because it has very active fatty acid chains, like, that grab the free radicals.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:59 AM
Pam

Quiltincrazy, I am overweight, too so I know how he feels. He does not like being told what to do, either. The simple fact is, he has to loose the weight, you can't make him.

My hubby would eat fried pork chops wrapped in bacon 6 times a day if he could! It is always a struggle on the days that he cooks (and he like to, or else he knows he won't be getting those pork chops!)
Old 04-09-2010, 05:08 AM
Power Poster

I use safflower oil a lot. It'a very light tasting oil and is fantastic for light pan frying but not deep frying. I mix it with melted butter for mashed potatoes, I mix oils a lot. I buy first pressed olive oil, canola, and safflower oil. Safflower oil is getting hard to find in my area lately.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:21 AM

Safflower oil is one of the healthy oils. The others are sunflower, olive, canola, grapeseed (I think) and there's another one that I can't remember. For good health you are supposed to eat 2 teaspoons a day. I usually use either olive or canola.

However, he can take the oil but if he doesn't change the other aspects of his diet/lifestyle he will not lose weight.

I've had a love/hate relationship with food all my life. I've been where your DH is. No one could make me change my diet until I decided to do it. All you can do is cook in a healthier way and support him to eat in a healthier way. He has to have to motivation to make the lifestyle change.