Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Can You Tell Me About Safflower Oil for Losing Weight? >

Can You Tell Me About Safflower Oil for Losing Weight?

Can You Tell Me About Safflower Oil for Losing Weight?

Old 04-09-2010, 05:54 AM
Power Poster

When I had surgery I gained a lot of weight, and after three years I had 45 lbs I had to lose. My Dr. gave me Adipex and I lost it all and have kept it off not needing the Adipex any more. I never want to be overweight again. If a pill will work then give me a pill.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Charlee
Ah Sweet Mousie...I know exactly what you're going thru, I have two brothers and a sister that are overweight (more so than your hubby) I, myself weighed 300 lbs last year. You've told him and his doctor told him. He's not going to do anything until he's ready to...and it will probably take being really scared for him to do it. Problem with that is, sometimes if they wait until they're scared, it's too late... :(

Sit down and have a chat...tell him that you're not going to tell him anymore....that you know he knows what's good for him and what's not, and that you're sorry he doesn't want to stay with you longer than what he's going to if he doesn't start to watch what he eats. Then sit back and watch, and don't offer any suggestions at all...not even if he asks. I'll bet that it doesn't take long for him to do it on his own and start asking you for healthier foods! :)
you know Charlee, I think you are exactly right and I am going to tell him the next time he asks for information just what you said, about sorry, blah, blah, blah...bc he is killing himself early, needlessly.
He has a mind block that the average "sensible" diet is too complicated, so he is always looking for an easy fix. Something he can swallow and is going to magically help his body undo what he did with a fork or dug out of a bag.
I'm not being insensitive and I don't say these things to him, but it is very hard on MY heart to watch this right under my nose.
I am overweight, but I know what caused it and I know what it takes to undo it, and I am working on it. I don't complain to other ppl that I shouldn't have to be fat while stuffing myself and saying I don't know how.
I do know how.
I told him one day, "Even if you can't remember what you saw in a magazine, got told at the doctor's office or a friend told you,...there is one rule of thumb that is easy to remember: eat until you are satisfied, not full...everybody's stomach expands after eating...and push your plate away and that's it until the next MEAL TIME."
I love him, but I can't do it for him. It just makes me so sad.
Thanks for replying, it really helps.:-D
hugs
Old 04-09-2010, 09:31 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
I say stop buying the crackers...it's the PM munching that's getting him. He can try and trick himself into thinking he's doing what the doc says, but additionally he's probably eating another 500 cals in the evening in crackers.

He *could* do the safflower thing. I don't think the 100 cals will kill him, but you could say...well instead of eating *just* the oil, how about we do it on a salad, with some balsamic vinegar? "I'd hate to see you trying to gag down a spoon of oil all by itself each day" :D :D :D

I've never heard of the benefits of safflower oil, just olive. I do know that safflower oil goes bad quickly, and it could be because it has very active fatty acid chains, like, that grab the free radicals.
He buys the crackers, and he thinks ww ice cream bars etc. are healthy! not on top of all the other meals, and two at a time!
We don't live close to the grocery store, so he makes stops when he goes to exercise.
He eats lots of fruit too, so he thinks he is counteracting the crackers! :shock:
Old 04-10-2010, 07:35 AM

As several others have saide, you can't make a person loose weight. It's like trying to make a drinker stop drinking.

I come from a long line of morbidly obese people and live in fear of becoming one myself. Even though I know exactly where poor eating habits lead, I have a terrible time controlling them some days.

Love him the best you can. Offer all the right foods (which I'm sure you already do) and try not to go crazy when he eats the wrong ones.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:13 PM

DH needs to lose weight, but I doubt it will happen. He just hates the word DIET. I cry and fuss and pull the Olivia card, but in the end he has to decide. He is boarder line diabitic. I excerise all the time and try to watch what I eat. He eats what I cook, and I cook healthly, but it's the times when he's without me that get him in trouble. Again it's his decision. I feel like he's going to die way to soon.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:36 PM

Ha! the vet told us to put a tablespoon of safflower oil on our dog's food every morning for his dandruff!
Old 04-12-2010, 03:38 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
As several others have saide, you can't make a person loose weight. It's like trying to make a drinker stop drinking.

I come from a long line of morbidly obese people and live in fear of becoming one myself. Even though I know exactly where poor eating habits lead, I have a terrible time controlling them some days.

Love him the best you can. Offer all the right foods (which I'm sure you already do) and try not to go crazy when he eats the wrong ones.
I know you may not have meant to be funny, but, lol.
(easily amused mouse, overlook her, Lisa ;) )
I don't react at all to anything he eats.
Nope, not making it my business. I just watch him eat his way up the scale and he looks sad and frustrated that he can't seem to lose weight. He really wants to.
I bought a book when he was going to weight watchers. I put it in the bathroom where he could read it.
He didn't.
When he has asked me, I have explained that you can exercise until you fall in the floor, but if you don't cut out the junk and the calories...
He's going to eat himself to death, one bite at a time and there is nothing I can do, and yet I feel responsible somehow.
How do i get myself to stop feeling like I hold the keys, but he won't take them?
I do nothing but bake his foods and try to make salads or nice cabbage, green beans, roast with carrots, but he insists on potatoes and rice etc.
I keep picturing when 'that time' comes that I will feel like, why didn't I do this or that? Do what?
I can't put him in a closet and spoon feed him. Doesn't he want to stay with me?
sorry, I'm sounding maudlin. I've seen it with other couples and I don't want it to be this way.:cry:
Old 04-12-2010, 03:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
DH needs to lose weight, but I doubt it will happen. He just hates the word DIET. I cry and fuss and pull the Olivia card, but in the end he has to decide. He is boarder line diabitic. I excerise all the time and try to watch what I eat. He eats what I cook, and I cook healthly, but it's the times when he's without me that get him in trouble. Again it's his decision. I feel like he's going to die way to soon.

exactly, exactly, exactly! DITTO!
It hurts MY feelings, but I say nothing. I used to, but not in past two years since he has become disabled. He would get mad and have trouble breathing etc.
Why do they make us watch this? It is so preventable.
Out of my control, so why do I feel like there is something I should do? :roll:
Old 04-12-2010, 03:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jbud2
Ha! the vet told us to put a tablespoon of safflower oil on our dog's food every morning for his dandruff!
LOL...the guy that told him to take it, is bald on top! :lol:
Old 04-12-2010, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy

exactly, exactly, exactly! DITTO!
It hurts MY feelings, but I say nothing. I used to, but not in past two years since he has become disabled. He would get mad and have trouble breathing etc.
Why do they make us watch this? It is so preventable.
Out of my control, so why do I feel like there is something I should do? :roll:
Yes, I agree with you why do we have to watch them eat their way into an early grave. I told DH the other day that I thought we wanted to grow old with me.