Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Casserole carrier for the table.... >

Casserole carrier for the table....

Casserole carrier for the table....

Old 02-05-2015, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Love2Craft View Post
I am looking for a pattern for one of those carriers that holds a 9x13 or square pan to go to the table. They tie in the corner. The main thing I want to know is...what's inside to make them stiff and are they washable?

If you get a piece of fabric and place your dish on it and start pinning it in place at the corners. Then you can see how easy it would be for you to create one and insulate it with Insul-Brite, you could make a pocket on the bottom to insert a piece of paneling or such to keep the heat from the table.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:55 AM

For the stiffness, there are all sorts of interfacing's from very light to stand on it's own in a hurricane wind. All are washable. For me I use a all cotton, from batting to thread, quilt it stiffly with a close stipple, tie at the corners with a ribbon or narrow cotton "string". That way if I want I can put the whole kit and caboodle in the microwave if I want or just use it on the table. You just make a rectangle to size and pinch up the corners and secure with the ties. It can be unfolded to lay flat if need be, and is certainly very washable. Check out the Pellon website for detailed information on interfacing and a pattern for the insulated carrier. One consideration. Insulbright is not suitable for the microwave, as it has synthetic and metallic fibers in it.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:44 AM

Because I am cheap and always try to make something easy, I took a box with low sides, lined it with prequilted cotton. I made a cover for it and put two zippers on the edge which met in the middle. Two long handles make it easy to carry. When I need to wash it, I simply remove the cover and wash and then replace the cover. Mine is years old now but I use it at least 1 a week.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:10 AM

I have made one for each of my daughters and they have a pocket on the bottom for a piece of glass or wood that is removed for washing. They are batted with Insulbrite for keeping thing warm longer. These girls all have potlucks at work or church and they say they love them
Old 02-06-2015, 02:16 PM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

Here is a pattern...I find lots of stuff on this site.

http://sewing.about.com/od/freeproje...fabricdish.htm
Old 02-06-2015, 09:19 PM

Nancy notions sells them. I bought the pattern from there. I lived in Wisconsin for over 30 yrs.Beaver Dam is where her place is. Nice store and wharehouse.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:23 PM

Google AllPeopleQuilt - they have a great pattern
Old 02-13-2015, 10:40 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by TShooters View Post
I've made several like this http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...r-t171016.html using the D-rings w/tabs on the two corners, and insul-brite for batting. Here's a similar tute on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFiI5M3-At0
Thanks for the link....