Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Casserole carrier for the table....

Blog Entries

Casserole carrier for the table....

I am looking for a pattern for one of those carriers that holds a 9x13 or square pan to go to the table. They tie in the corner. The main thing I want to know is...what's inside to make them stiff and are they washable?

I'll be interested in this too...
    Besides my family, my pets are the most important things to me. I have had birds, a dog or cats since I was about 8 years old. The cruelest thing you can do to me is take my animals away.

It should say on pattern...I'm guessing a very stiff interfacing.....but I think if I were to make one I would make a sleeve type bottom and insert something solid.....plexi, glass, metal.....that can then be removed when carrier needed washing.........

Blog Entries
    The pattern I have calls for regular batting. Not stiff at all. But I do like the idea of a sleeve.

I've made several like this http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...r-t171016.html using the D-rings w/tabs on the two corners, and insul-brite for batting. Here's a similar tute on youtube.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFiI5M3-At0
    Count your life by smiles, not tears. Count your age by friends, not years.

"I, myself, am entirely made of flaws, stitched together with good intentions."

Blog Entries
    I have made several like TShooters and everyone loves them. I use insul-brite for the batting. You could use the insul-brite with a layer of batting on each side.
    I make hotpads with cloesline and scraps for the bottom and use when I tranfer hot dish to table.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

I have made both the square and the rectangular casserole carriers. In both I used Insul-brite and a layer of cotton interfacing. I found lots of instructions free on-line.
    Last edited by IraJane; 02-05-2015 at 04:27 AM. Reason: additional info

Blog Entries
    The style I want to make is not for transporting the casserole but kind of basket like to set in the table. I think you start with a rectangle for a 9x13 ...do a tuck in the corner that makes it have sides and is tied with ribbon to hold it up. Hope this is making sense. I like the idea of something removable suggested above

Quote Originally Posted by Love2Craft View Post
    The style I want to make is not for transporting the casserole but kind of basket like to set in the table. I think you start with a rectangle for a 9x13 ...do a tuck in the corner that makes it have sides and is tied with ribbon to hold it up. Hope this is making sense. I like the idea of something removable suggested above

Yes, I know what you r describing....I think Nancy's notions?

Blog Entries
    I use insul-bright which makes them hold the heat or cold. Mine will keep a casserole warm for 2 hrs. and yes they are washable. Love mine which uses wooden spoons for handles.
    Mia

Quote Originally Posted by Love2Craft View Post
    I am looking for a pattern for one of those carriers that holds a 9x13 or square pan to go to the table. They tie in the corner. The main thing I want to know is...what's inside to make them stiff and are they washable?

If you get a piece of fabric and place your dish on it and start pinning it in place at the corners. Then you can see how easy it would be for you to create one and insulate it with Insul-Brite, you could make a pocket on the bottom to insert a piece of paneling or such to keep the heat from the table.

For the stiffness, there are all sorts of interfacing's from very light to stand on it's own in a hurricane wind. All are washable. For me I use a all cotton, from batting to thread, quilt it stiffly with a close stipple, tie at the corners with a ribbon or narrow cotton "string". That way if I want I can put the whole kit and caboodle in the microwave if I want or just use it on the table. You just make a rectangle to size and pinch up the corners and secure with the ties. It can be unfolded to lay flat if need be, and is certainly very washable. Check out the Pellon website for detailed information on interfacing and a pattern for the insulated carrier. One consideration. Insulbright is not suitable for the microwave, as it has synthetic and metallic fibers in it.
    two simple rules for success
    1. Show up.
    2. Pay attention.
    One simple rule for happiness
    1. Kindness counts.

Because I am cheap and always try to make something easy, I took a box with low sides, lined it with prequilted cotton. I made a cover for it and put two zippers on the edge which met in the middle. Two long handles make it easy to carry. When I need to wash it, I simply remove the cover and wash and then replace the cover. Mine is years old now but I use it at least 1 a week.

I have made one for each of my daughters and they have a pocket on the bottom for a piece of glass or wood that is removed for washing. They are batted with Insulbrite for keeping thing warm longer. These girls all have potlucks at work or church and they say they love them

Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland
    Blog Entries
    Here is a pattern...I find lots of stuff on this site.

http://sewing.about.com/od/freeproje...fabricdish.htm

Nancy notions sells them. I bought the pattern from there. I lived in Wisconsin for over 30 yrs.Beaver Dam is where her place is. Nice store and wharehouse.

Google AllPeopleQuilt - they have a great pattern

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by TShooters View Post
    I've made several like this http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...r-t171016.html using the D-rings w/tabs on the two corners, and insul-brite for batting. Here's a similar tute on youtube.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFiI5M3-At0
    Thanks for the link....