Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: cat bath question

Power Poster
    Can I give my cat a bath using Shaklee BasicH2 (diluted, of course)?

I'm having more of a reaction to him than ever since we've come back from Florida.

He had to be de-thatched, so he has bare skin showing in places.

I have heard the following: Only use soap/shampoo on your cat that is made exclusively for cats. Using other products can irritate their skin, make them sick and sometimes even kill them. Even using dog shampoo on a cat can kill the cat.

I would see if there is a similar type of product for cats. Call your vet and ask if they recommend any special cat shampoo. I'm sure there is something out there. I saw on a website recently that if you wash your cat in luke warm water only once a week, no soap or shampoo needed, that it will help with cat owners who have cat allergies. It also said to wash the cat's bedding in warm water once a week as well, no soaps.

Good luck!!!

I was told never to use human shampoo or soap on my cats, it will irritate their skin and could make them sick because they lick themselves to wash. Try just rinsing your cat, although the allergy is not their hair, it's actually something to do with when they wash themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Dancer
    I was told never to use human shampoo or soap on my cats, it will irritate their skin and could make them sick because they lick themselves to wash. Try just rinsing your cat, although the allergy is not their hair, it's actually something to do with when they wash themselves.
    True it is something that is excreted out of their glands and into their saliva, which of course gets on their fur when they clean themselves. So I think simply rinsing the cat often should help because you would be rinsing the saliva off.

Power Poster
    I can try wiping him down with a damp washcloth and see what happens.

It will do him no harm and might do me some good.

Blog Entries
    I buy soapless shampoo from the vet. It's great for my hair too, no residue left at all, and it's very gentle to the cat's skin. If you use Revolution or any other pest treatment on you pets, soapless shampoo will not wash off the protection.

The same goes for dogs only dog shampoo. I think human shampoo is too fragrant for them also.

Blog Entries
    petco and other stores have those wet wipes. come in pkgs that open and seal again. are wet and you simply wipe them down. my cats love it.

Cats and dogs have a different PH balance than humans do, our shampoos throw it out of balance.

Just a warning to the person with the allergy issue. Using pet shampoo on your own hair can cause irritation too!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast