Cat teeth cleaning?

Old 09-29-2011, 03:11 AM

Has anyone had their cat's teeth cleaned? My vet mentioned that my older cat (between 8 - 10 years old) was beginning to get tarter on her teeth and wants to clean them $300 - $350.
I have wondered about the new product out on the market developed by vets that is a spray that you use on dogs and cats teeth to dissolve the tarter. Plaque Blast/Attack I think, has anyone used it? How do you like it or dislike it?
thanks
Old 09-29-2011, 04:00 AM

I would try the new mixture fix first. I don't like having my animals put out. Just for spaying or fixing only.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Darlene
I would try the new mixture fix first. I don't like having my animals put out. Just for spaying or fixing only.
It worries me too having her put out to do the cleaning, I looked, the tarter is not that bad. Vet says she wants to keep the teeth clean to avoid absesses.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:50 AM

When I had my cat, I had her teeth cleaned by a vet twice. She lived to be 17 and over the last few years of her life she lost 6 six teeth, two of her canines. So, did the cleaning help I don't think so. And I also hated having her put under to do it.

I would try something else, have you tried brushing, they need to get use to it, but it will help.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by chickadeee55
When I had my cat, I had her teeth cleaned by a vet twice. She lived to be 17 and over the last few years of her life she lost 6 six teeth, two of her canines. So, did the cleaning help I don't think so. And I also hated having her put under to do it.

I would try something else, have you tried brushing, they need to get use to it, but it will help.
Haven't tried brushing yet, I know there is doggie toothpaste is there one for cats?
Old 09-29-2011, 05:02 AM

Sometimes it is very necessary! Just like people some cats need it more than others. My dear, departed Siamese Manx became diabetic at age 12. Turns out it was out of control gum disease. Cleaning his teeth every 8-9 months and a diet change to grain free and we kept him off insulin until he left us at age 18!

Yes, you can brush but that is not going to get any problems below the gum line.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:10 AM

ooops - double post
Old 09-29-2011, 05:23 AM
Cyn

My vet is very good at telling me if something is really needed or not. I would trust them totally but if you don't, I'd be careful about things like this cause teeth need to be healthy but anethisia can be dangerous for older animals. Before putting mine under, I also pay the extra fee for a test that gives valuable info as to the pets health and ability to under go surgeries :)
Old 09-29-2011, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Cyn
My vet is very good at telling me if something is really needed or not. I would trust them totally but if you don't, I'd be careful about things like this cause teeth need to be healthy but anethisia can be dangerous for older animals. Before putting mine under, I also pay the extra fee for a test that gives valuable info as to the pets health and ability to under go surgeries :)
That is what scares me the most, she was given to me for my birthday 8 years ago. Was told she was a kitten, she was at least a year at that time.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:48 AM

if the cats teeth need cleaning then that is what should happen they like us can get sore gums from plaque and can get to a point where they may need to have some teeth removed to make life more comfortable for them,
I Give my cats chicken necks to eats as the fine bones clean the teeth and are small enough not to cause problems plus they are full of calcium and we all need calcium. nine years of age is not very old and they only need a light anesthetic to have the teeth cleaned