Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do any of you clench your teeth/have tooth sensitivity?? >

Do any of you clench your teeth/have tooth sensitivity??

Do any of you clench your teeth/have tooth sensitivity??

Old 12-22-2009, 07:49 AM

In my sleep, I clench my teeth. It's so bad, that it's caused some gum recession in the back, leaving some roots exposed. Which turns into painful reactions to hot and cold foods.

I sleep with a bottom mouth guard (calling today to see if they make top ones) and the dentist desensitizes those areas every 6 months (f-ing hurts when he does).

So I was wondering if any of you have that problem and have any other suggestions???? Because I'm hurting.... I don't know how to make myself just stop doing it, since I'm sleeping. While I'm awake, I've very aware to keep my teeth slightly apart, it's totally a whilst I sleep problem.

Also, for those of you with teeth sensitivity, are there actually dentists that focus on sensitive teeth? I went to my dentist yesterday (usually I see the same hygienist who is over all good, but she was out unexpectedly, so I got the dentist himself cleaning my teeth) and it was so ridiculously painful. And I brush, floss, and mouthwash regularly. After 24 hours I can finally chew soft foods again, and I spent half of last night crying from the pain, and overall I take good care of my teeth. My boyfriend was furious and said I wasn't going back to the dentist ever again, and he said there are some dentists who use rubber tipped instruments and do other things so it doesn't hurt for a routine cleaning. So I'm wondering if that's true??

Thanks
Old 12-22-2009, 08:08 AM

Wow, you've pursued ways to fix sensitive teeth that I've never heard of! I'm a sleep clencher, too, which can lead to some real sensitivity issues. My dentist always checks for pressure spots and keeps my teeth from creating point pressure.
I've started using toothpaste for sensitive teeth as well, and it seems to be making a difference. The thing with sensitive teeth is that change is so darned slow!
Old 12-22-2009, 08:14 AM

Sounds like you received a very thorough cleaning. That's a good thing, but so sorry you're feeling it. The pain and sensitivity should go away in the next day or so. Ask your dentist about sensitive teeth toothpastes and/or fluoride rinses. I think they take some time to work but maybe by your next cleaning... If not, mention your discomfort to your dentist. You may need some topical numbing or even a few little shots before a cleaning and some pain medication afterward.

Hope you feel better soon.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:45 AM

Ugh, I know how you feel!
I don't clench my teeth, but I have three areas in my canines where the gum line is receding and some of the root is exposed and OMG is it ever painful!!!
My dentist said it's probably being aggravated by all the pregnancy hormones, because I didn't have this problem before, but he suggested that after the baby comes, that there is a surgery that he can do to make the gum line higher in those places and cover up the exposed root.

I take good care of my teeth too, and I'm only 27 years old, it's not like my teeth have had many years of abuse. I brush and floss like I'm supposed to but I always get cavities and my teeth break really easily :(
Old 12-22-2009, 10:35 AM

Is there something in your life causing you to do this? When I worked I was under extreme pressure to meet deadlines and just a whole lot of stress. I woke many nights because I clenched my jaw and grinded my teeth so loudly it woke me. I had really sensitive gums at that time. As soon as i quit my job, the clenching stopped. Now I know it might not be feasible to completely remove some of the stressers in life...but if there is a better way for you to deal with it, It might help the clenching 100%
Old 12-22-2009, 11:27 AM

I have braces now. No more clenching. It must have been due to a bad bite.

No one has ever figured out the sensitivity though. I get the "You might need some root canals... uh, no. No root canal. Hmm." That's it.

Accidentally punching the hygienist will make you feel better. I'm just saying. It worked for me. That, and I take Advil prior to every appointment.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:31 AM
Power Poster

I was diagnosed with TMJ quite a while ago (temporomandibular joint disorder). It always flares up when I am under a lot of stress. SO STRESS CONTROL IS IMPORTANT!

I clench my teeth and on bad days, I literally have to pry my mouth open in the morning. (I like to talk, so that's not good.) Unfortunately, I have a severe gag reflex and the mouth guard makes me gag.

My HMO sent me to a class and I learned that I should not eat foods that require crunching or heavy chewing during my flareups (Mashed potatos are my friend).

Another thing I do regularly, is to relax my jaw. (It looks a little "off" coz I push the tongue forward and let it rest between my lips. (Sometimes it peeks out. hhi)

I'm scheduled for a planing session to clean the root base on the 28th and 30th of this month. (To capture the insurance money for the year.) I think that will not be fun. But I don't think a routing cleaning should hurt, and I would tell my dentist to take it easy with the tools. You are paying for the service and tell him you are requesting the pain-free method!
Old 12-22-2009, 11:49 AM

I apply some pressure at points behind my ears and along my jaw. It seems to help some. I learned it from a book called: Acuppressure's Potent Points, A Guide to Self-Care for Common Ailments by Michael Reed Gach.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:01 PM
Power Poster

When they do the deep root cleaning, it will hurt. They have to get under the gum lines to scrape the plaque off. I also had very sensitive teeth. My dentist schedule my appts in two sessions, so he could deaden half of my mouth each time. For regular cleaning he would give me a scrip for a couple of pain pills to take 2 hours before my appointment :wink:

I was a long term/severe grinder...30+ years...I wish that I would have know about mouth guards, because I would still have my own teeth now! Grinding can cause hair line fractures in your teeth that do not always appear in xrays, but eventually cause decay, tooth breakage and sensitivity.

Sensitive toothpastes did not clean my teeth as well as I liked, so I brushed with regular paste first and then with the other, but keep in mind in can take a month or so before you notice a difference, and if you stop using it you are back to square one.

I urge you to wear the teeth/mouth guards and to get regular check ups and cleanings. It was pitiful to have to get dentures at 46 due to grinding...
Old 12-22-2009, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
In my sleep, I clench my teeth. It's so bad, that it's caused some gum recession in the back, leaving some roots exposed. Which turns into painful reactions to hot and cold foods.

I sleep with a bottom mouth guard (calling today to see if they make top ones) and the dentist desensitizes those areas every 6 months (f-ing hurts when he does).

So I was wondering if any of you have that problem and have any other suggestions???? Because I'm hurting.... I don't know how to make myself just stop doing it, since I'm sleeping. While I'm awake, I've very aware to keep my teeth slightly apart, it's totally a whilst I sleep problem.

Also, for those of you with teeth sensitivity, are there actually dentists that focus on sensitive teeth? I went to my dentist yesterday (usually I see the same hygienist who is over all good, but she was out unexpectedly, so I got the dentist himself cleaning my teeth) and it was so ridiculously painful. And I brush, floss, and mouthwash regularly. After 24 hours I can finally chew soft foods again, and I spent half of last night crying from the pain, and overall I take good care of my teeth. My boyfriend was furious and said I wasn't going back to the dentist ever again, and he said there are some dentists who use rubber tipped instruments and do other things so it doesn't hurt for a routine cleaning. So I'm wondering if that's true??

Thanks
I don't clench my teeth,but I do have a problem with them being sensitive. I had braces when I was 40 yrs. old for 2 1/2 years. After I got them off I have never been able to eat much citrus,oranges,tangerines,anything like them. I used sensydyne tooth paste at that time.. I allso discovered I can not use anyof the toothpaste,jells that have whiters in them or tartar control. I believe it is tartar. Any way I use plain oldfashion crest toothpaste the one before all the fancy stuff and gradually the sensitivity has stopped. I even tried the mouthwash for whiting teeth liked to have pulled out my own teeth it made them so painful. I am 65 now and only discovered this about 8 months ago. so I know how you feel. I don't believe mine was as severe as yours. But try the plain old toothpaste for cavities. Crest has it. Hope I have helped you.
BillsBonBon