Cat teeth cleaning?

Old 09-30-2011, 03:22 AM

While my cat was out for another procedure they did the cleaning. He had a broken tooth that we had not discovered previously and this was found during the cleaning and resolved. I think it was a good thing but they didn't charge us as much as you are being quoted. I guess because it was part of another procedure so didn't have to have its own anesthesia, op room set up, etc.

I was happy with the results and would do it again if I had it to do over, but again, not as a stand alone procedure.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:50 AM

My kitty had her teeth cleaned last December...5 years old. My vet, who I trust completely and who doesn't do unnecessary things, showed me the tartar on her teeth and said not to wait too long to get it done because it can cause other problems. I had it done the next week. I, too, was nervous about having her put under but she did have to have two teeth removed, and you know, she would probably have had pain eating, etc. at some point if I didn't have it done. When we took her home she was groggy the rest of the day (which was expected) but was absolutely fine the next day.

I am glad we did it to avoid a future medical issue and to avoid tooth pain for my baby.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:08 AM

I had two of my cats teeth clean, but was charged $100.00 each. One of "my babies" just died at age 12 and he had all his teeth when he died. It is healthy for the cats to have good teeth just like us.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:17 AM

We give our kitties treats that are supposed to clean tartar. I would try anything before I would spend that kind of money on animal tooth cleaning. Besides, they have to be anesthetized to do it and that carries a risk too.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:51 AM

Sorry, my 14 year old is NOT getting his teeth cleaned. Vets are getting a little greedy in my opinion.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
grain free and we kept him off insulin until he left us at age 18!
--------------------------------------
This makes me ask myself just why on earth am I feeding my CATS grains? I'm going to look at their diets closer...no cats I've seen have EVER, in their lives, hunted for grains. It's lots cheaper than meats, but cats evolved eating meats.

Due to money concerns, most folks can feed their cats commercial foods, but those with lots of money to spend on their fur babies (wish I did) can feed them a more natural diet.

I no longer fish..perhaps I should start again, no longer hunt..well, not likely to start again, gotta go to PetSmart and see what they have like that. Did get some kibble made from Ducks..one cat loved it and the other acted like I was feeding her rat poison!!!
Rat poison LOL

We used to feed the green pea and duck but switched to the green pea and chicken. The best thing I love about the Natural Balance food (some others too) is that there is no dye. So when you get that inevitable upchuck on the carpet it does NOT stain!

Miss Teddi is allergic to grains. She was getting Friskies canned pate style when young and I goofed and grabbed some gravy style. One can sent her from chronic icky ears to acute overnight. Her poor little ears were red and swollen nearly shut!
Old 09-30-2011, 06:55 AM
Power Poster

I was just thinking of this the other day. i have tiny toothbrushes and cat toothpaste. i should get to work. i have three cats and bet i can only do this to the mamma cat. i used to do my previous cat's teeth so much easier.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:37 AM

I have my cats teeth cleaned every few years or when the vet says, "Time for cleaning" - and I make it a point to ask at their annual exam.

I have tried using products you put into the water, but they didn't drink a lot of water (they got enough from their food), so I ended up chucking the "seasoned" water daily to keep it from getting yucky. Literally money down the drain.

I tried the spray, but cats don't like the SOUND of anything spraying, let alone your spraying anything anywhere in their presence. Unless you get your cat as a kitten and get them used to your fingers in their mouth (rubbing gums, gently checking), it's just not going to happen. I am hoping to try emptying the loquid into a pill bottle that I can dip my finger in (no spritz noise or spray action) and try to rub their gums. We'll see.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:34 AM

I have a persian cat and her teeth get cleaned every year for $150.00. That $300.00 is really high. I'm going to try some of the things that have been mentioned. Thanks a bunch.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:15 PM

I trust my vets with the lives of my furbabies. When I was told that 2 of my kitties (at separate times years apart) they had it done. Cats do develope dental problems just like people. I don't feed can/wet food only dry grain free. One of my cats had a problem where her teeth bad, her littermate never had her teeth cleaned and they were sparkly white up untl the day she died at 17years old.

As for cost, it depends on where you live. In the city of Charlotte they wanted to charge me $3700 to repair my dogs torn ACL. In the town right next to me, $750. My dog had the $750 knee repair and was walking in a matter of days, back to running in 6! Never another problem in the last 6 years of her life.

If you trust your vet, have it done.