Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Check your credit card statements online DAILY >

Check your credit card statements online DAILY

Check your credit card statements online DAILY

Old 10-13-2011, 02:08 PM

A good friend of mine in on her way from Texas to Ohio because her mother is in a coma. They stopped in Arkansas to buy gas and their credit card was refused. She called the 800 number on the back and they told her someone in N.Y has been using it since Monday.
My friend always checks her online statements weekly. But that wasn't often enough apparently.
And she never buys online, etc.
I am charging their hotel room tonight for them, her brother is going to pay their gas etc on their trip back to Texas after the funeral. Just a mess.
We figure someone must have used one of those card reader things that can get your number through your purse or whatever.
Please keep an eye daily on your card activity.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:11 PM
Cyn

Thanks for the warning. Always a good reminder :)
Old 10-13-2011, 03:50 PM

happen to me last christmas it is so sad that people do this to others..but my bank was great and put all the money back for me had to change account numbers but was glad to ..
praying for your friend
Old 10-13-2011, 03:53 PM

It happened to our Amex but they called me right away, thank goodness. It also happened to my checking accounts several times and the bank was less then understanding about it.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:34 PM

thats so sad.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Daisygirl
It happened to our Amex but they called me right away, thank goodness. It also happened to my checking accounts several times and the bank was less then understanding about it.
At least your AMEX card called you. This card co. didn't call them at all. If they hadn't had to make an emergency trip to Ohio and use the card on the way, they'd never have known it was happening.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:04 AM

I had the exact same thing happen just last Saturday...debit card was rejected at grocery store....came home and checked balance and there was money in the account. I called the 800 # to see what was going on and come to find out my bank's security system had shut my card down because on the same day there was a charge from Brazil, Kennebunkport, MA, Nassau and TN ! Totaled about $110.

Fraud folks said that these folks are such good crooks they "phish" for account numbers and when they find one that is viable, they make a small charge, i.e., the charge from Brazil was only .69 ! They said even if your card never left your possession or was secure in your purse or wallet they can still get your information.

I've had card replaced and a new account number, but there is not guarantee this won't happen again next week.

The bank also said to place the bulk of your funds in an account that is not accessible via a card....which means you have to go to bank (or in my case, my computer) to move money around.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:41 AM

When I went to Paducah a couple of years ago, I was unable to use my debit card. I called the credit union and asked - they had shut it down because the vendors were from all over, and my charges were coming through from Pennsylvania and Georgia and Texas, all on the same day.