Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: cleaning old fabric sewing box question

cleaning old fabric sewing box question

I have an old fabric covered card board sewing box with drawers. Its pretty stained and I would like to clean it up a bit before selling it. Does anyone know a way to do this without ruining it totally?

How about just re-covering it with new fabric and spray glue. Can't think of any method that wouldn't harm the cardboard.

that's what I was afraid of. But replacing the fabric may ruin the value some ?

I would suspect if it's stained that some of whatever stained it has seeped into the cardboard. I would not want to purchase a box that had been damaged and then recovered to hide the damage.

pal
    Dawn dishwashing detergent seems to clean everything - even blueberry pie on a silk shirt! I would try going over the box with a wrung out cloth and Dawn.
    PACE - Positive Attitude Changes Everything

"All things are literally better, lovlier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."

Could you look at a vintage restoration site? For some reason I'm thinking there is a clay product that you can smooth on and peel off that cleans stuff which can't take water. I think it works on wallpaper. DIY might have more info too or Antique Roadshow. I know that prices really drop when people try to "fix up" their antiques.

How about some of that carpet cleaner that comes in a wet powder form? You rub it in, let it dry and vacuum it. I believe it's called Resolve, not sure. I used it one the carpet in a little trailer we bought -- worked quite well on that.

Hmm I didn't think of dry carpet cleaner. I actually have some Capture here. This stuff is incredible. I will look for the clay cleaning stuff if that doesn't work. If not I will just sell as is and let the buyer clean it. Don't have a lot of time to spend on stuff like that. Almost every sewing thing I have has to go. I have to move Again as my brother is selling the house Have to be out by April 1 and I will be moving into 1 bedroom if I can find one to rent.No room for collections there. Remind me please that downsizing is good and living without things is a good thing. lol