Cleaning Raggedy Ann

Old 04-16-2016, 10:01 AM

Default Cleaning Raggedy Ann

Hi Friends

I made a large Raggedy Ann doll for my daughter 40 (!) years ago and it has sat in a chair for years. Can anyone give me some advice on cleaning the doll. I've washed and ironed the clothing, but the body and hair is so dusty. I don't remember what I stuffed the doll with, but the hair is yarn. Remember finishing her up about 3 am on Christmas Eve!!! lol Five year olds have no idea what their parents go through! Tia in advance for any help.

Shelor
Old 04-16-2016, 10:42 AM

Before dunking the doll in water, I would make a solution of water and mild soap and go over the doll's body with a soft toothbrush. That way you wouldn't soak the stuffing. If there is embroidery for the face, be very careful as the floss could run since it was manufactured a long time ago, although I've never had any runs with DMC floss (used to cross-stitch). Good luck, that is an heirloom.
Sue
Old 04-16-2016, 01:43 PM
Power Poster

did you try vacuuming the hair or using blown air to remove the dust off of the hair. Dmc floss from 30 yrs ago was good, so I wouldn't worry about that. Now we all know why you use good fabrics in our projects, we may have to wash them 30 yrs later. My son is 26, and about 20 yrs ago, he said he didn't want a quilt for Christmas. when I put him to bed on the 21st, he said he wanted a quilt. I too was up to 2 am trying to finish his quilt on time, and finally finished it in the wee hours of Christmas morning.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:11 AM

Cute story, Lynnie......what we did for our kids (and now our grandchildren!)
Old 04-17-2016, 04:25 AM

Briet - good luck with the cleaning. Please share a picture of Raggedy Ann when she's all cleaned up - will bring back memories of my daughters. Thanks
Old 04-17-2016, 04:27 AM

I have had luck with putting a bear or doll in a mesh bag and putting it in the dryer on air fluff. I know that one of my friends put a doll in a nylon stocking and washed it on gentle. That prevented the hair from getting all tangled.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:54 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I did not embroider the face, so no worries there. She's way too big--about 35"--to put into a stocking, but that's an excellent idea. Think I'll try the toothbrush and a little soapy water on the body, and just blowing or using the vac on the hair. You are right, Lynnie, the "good stuff" always lasts longer!
Old 04-17-2016, 01:07 PM

I've also freshened things up using a pillow case in the dryer. That hair dryer suggestion was a good one too!
Old 04-17-2016, 01:47 PM

Default Cleaning Raddedy Ann

Originally Posted by Briet View Post
Hi Friends

I made a large Raggedy Ann doll for my daughter 40 (!) years ago and it has sat in a chair for years. Can anyone give me some advice on cleaning the doll. I've washed and ironed the clothing, but the body and hair is so dusty. I don't remember what I stuffed the doll with, but the hair is yarn. Remember finishing her up about 3 am on Christmas Eve!!! lol Five year olds have no idea what their parents go through! Tia in advance for any help.

Shelor
If the doll is just dusty put here in the dryer on air dry with a bed sheet and let the dryer beat the dust out of her.
If you put water and soap on her when she dries you will have water rings on her. If she dirty and not just dusty I would make a old pillow case and put her in it and sew the pillow top close and wash her in cold water. (the reason for sewing the pillow top close is just in case the doll should come apart. You won't want the mess in you washing machine or sewer line.) If your really unsure I would take her to the dry cleaners and see what they would charge to clean her.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:19 AM

I'd love to see a photo of her when she is dust free.