CraigsList

Old 05-04-2012, 05:10 AM

Default CraigsList

I think we know Craigslist is hit or miss, but I've noticed lately, I'll email someone and NEVER hear back from them. This is happening more often than not. When I sell something on CL, I'm close to obsessive about checking my email and phone, and I don't understand why someone else wouldn't be at least diligent about checking!
I emailed someone FIFTEEN minutes after their ad posted for something they have. The ad is vague about the item and I think it might be overpriced, so I sent an email that nicely asked what the model number is and how old it is. I haven't heard back. I know this hasn't been sold already. I understand that not everyone has 24-hour access to internet, etc, etc, but why go to the trouble of running an ad if you don't want to sell something?! I want to post a picture of me holding cash so they take me serious!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-04-2012 at 11:51 AM. Reason: PM to member
Old 05-04-2012, 05:16 AM
Power Poster

I've only purchased something off Craigslist once and it was someone who live very close. With all the scams going on I'm just too leary of what's truth and what's a con. Hope you have a positive experience.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:29 AM

I've bought and sold on CL and haven't had nearly those problems. I HAVE had issues when I've received e-mails that are vague, disjointed and total misspellings. Be sure to look in your JUNK file to make sure the e-mails aren't dumped there.....just saying. I have Gmail and it's been known to dump e-mails from my friends I've communicated with a lot.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:36 AM
Power Poster

I had this happen to me! On a vintage sewing machine. The ad reappeared no less than FOUR times! Everytime I emailed the seller expressing my interest (no phone was given) and never heard back. So I am thinking this was a case of someone who didn't have the slightest idea how to use Craigs list. I bet they never were able to sell their sewing machine because they didn't understand how to retreive their emails from CL. It is frustrating but I figure when I never heard back each time I responded to the ad it just wasn't meant to be.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:36 AM

I have noticed on the Craigslist listing near my house, many say do not eMail and that they will not answer. Something about eMails is not honest. They want you to call the phone number in the ad. I am very cautious of the ads on Craigslist, and don't think I would answer any of them. I do like to look at them, though.
Sue
Old 05-04-2012, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by AshleyR View Post
I haven't ranted on the board in a while, so here goes:

I think we know Craigslist is hit or miss, but I've noticed lately, I'll email someone and NEVER hear back from them. This is happening more often than not. When I sell something on CL, I'm close to obsessive about checking my email and phone, and I don't understand why someone else wouldn't be at least diligent about checking!
I emailed someone FIFTEEN minutes after their ad posted for something they have. The ad is vague about the item and I think it might be overpriced, so I sent an email that nicely asked what the model number is and how old it is. I haven't heard back. I know this hasn't been sold already. I understand that not everyone has 24-hour access to internet, etc, etc, but why go to the trouble of running an ad if you don't want to sell something?! I want to post a picture of me holding cash so they take me serious!

Do you have a CL rant too?

I emailed about a sewing machine in a cabinet and never heard a word back. A week later, the same ad appeared again. Left it alone------------not going to deal with people who aren't trustworthy.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by susie-susie-susie View Post
I have noticed on the Craigslist listing near my house, many say do not eMail and that they will not answer. Something about eMails is not honest. They want you to call the phone number in the ad. I am very cautious of the ads on Craigslist, and don't think I would answer any of them. I do like to look at them, though.
Sue
I think you are misreading the ads. The "do not email" is a warning not to contact that person via spam email. Craigslist provides an email site for that particular ad, and those are fairly safe as far as I know.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:45 AM

For someone who can't use the phone, e-mail contact is vital for me. So, if they don't want to be contacted via e-mail, they've lost their money and sale. I run into a few people who just never respond, but I consider them lazy or ignorant and keep trucking. Lots of other things to spend my money on:>
Old 05-04-2012, 06:52 AM

I think some people don't want to be slammed with emails asking for a million details and no real interest in buying (or offers to buy from another country with suspect financing), so they ask serious buyers to call to weed out the curiosity hounds. I prefer email questions to calling, but I do understand why some people don't care for that, especially if they are not in the habit of being online frequently, as I am.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:00 AM

Tried to buy a car on Craigs list. If you talk to someone they promise to call you back with time for an appointment and next thing you know it's sold to someone else. Doesn't seem to matter who calls first. Had some that wanted to ship the car sight unseen. When I said I don't buy a vehicle sight unseen they said "your loss".! just couldn't deal with it.