CraigsList

Old 05-04-2012, 07:13 AM

It could also be that your email is going into THEIR spam mail, and they aren't seeing it.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:29 AM
Banned

mine rant is your rant...they never reply! I did contact CL about this once, because I could not figure out why I never heard back...here is what CL said " do not use the click link to reply, use the copy email address function and paste it to your addy box" often the links are broken, busy, etc and replies get dropped!
I have gotten more responses since doing this, but not nearly 80% yet!
Old 05-04-2012, 08:15 AM

I've never bought anything CL, but have sold a lot of big items. I agree with the other posters - I think when someone isn't responding, chances are that the email is going into their spam or they don't know how to access it. I've had no problems with people contacting me at all. In fact, I plan to list a bunch of men's jeans next week (nearly new).

I insist on cash - had one person show up wanting to use a check and told her where the bank was. She didn't come back but someone else bought the item the same day. There's a lot of check scammers around here.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt-Till-U-Wilt View Post
Tried to buy a car on Craigs list. If you talk to someone they promise to call you back with time for an appointment and next thing you know it's sold to someone else. Doesn't seem to matter who calls first. Had some that wanted to ship the car sight unseen. When I said I don't buy a vehicle sight unseen they said "your loss".! just couldn't deal with it.
This is always a scam. Your WIN, not your loss.

When I sell on CL I use phone contact only. Otherwise you get a lot of emails, "I am interested in your item" - if they are not outright scams, they are harvesting your email address when you reply, then the spam starts.

If they can't bother to call me they are not going to get my item. People who are really serious will call. JMHO.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:38 AM

I don't call people until I'm ready to meet them (but my husband has no problems with calling someone!). I also try to avoid generic emails like, "Is this still available?" but if you have an ad with a phone number, and don't specify that you don't want emails, then I would expect an answer to an email that says, "I saw your ad for a ___ on Craigslist and am interested in more information. What is the model number and how old is it? Does it come with any extras?"!
I have an email address that I use specifically for craigslist so I don't worry about spam.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:14 AM

I was going to buy a 401 singer on CL and had agreed on a price, I sent an email asking when I could pick it up and never got a message back. They either decided not to sell it or found someone who would pay more for the machine. I even sent them a email saying that it wasn't very nice to not let me know what was going on.

Pat in MN
Old 05-04-2012, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by susie-susie-susie View Post
I have noticed on the Craigslist listing near my house, many say do not eMail and that they will not answer. Something about eMails is not honest. They want you to call the phone number in the ad. I am very cautious of the ads on Craigslist, and don't think I would answer any of them. I do like to look at them, though.
Sue
The reason many people don't respond to email is because of spammers. It happens a lot. Every ad I place, I get someone who writes that they're interested, but they don't include a phone number. If I write back, instead of hearing back from the person, I get bombarded with new spam emails... and the original person never does contact me again. This is called pfishing.

If someone can't leave their phone number, then most likely their pfishing.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
mine rant is your rant...they never reply! I did contact CL about this once, because I could not figure out why I never heard back...here is what CL said " do not use the click link to reply, use the copy email address function and paste it to your addy box" often the links are broken, busy, etc and replies get dropped!
I have gotten more responses since doing this, but not nearly 80% yet!
not computer savy, can you explain your post in more detail? If you don't send email to the address listed, where do you send it? If I understand, you "copy" the address and use your email? So, since I do that already, what more could I do?
Old 05-04-2012, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
This is always a scam. Your WIN, not your loss.

When I sell on CL I use phone contact only. Otherwise you get a lot of emails, "I am interested in your item" - if they are not outright scams, they are harvesting your email address when you reply, then the spam starts.

If they can't bother to call me they are not going to get my item. People who are really serious will call. JMHO.
Seems like a pretty negative statement about car sales. Some are legit, not all are scams.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:23 PM

Sometimes I get a reply and sometimes not. Most of the time I find they really don't know what they have or where to look - probably because they're selling something given or willed to them. I have bought several machines from Goodwill online. Funny thing - now one of the stores in Ohio always takes a pix of the bobbin case after I told them several times they wouldn't sell any machines to a serious buyer without that info.