CraigsList

Old 05-05-2012, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by LynnVT
Not just their address, Ashley. You can then Google the address and get a picture of the house. Yeah, scary stuff. If you watch the TV crime shows, most savy criminals buy cheap disposable cell phones that don't reveal owner. Maybe we "good folks" should do that for stuff like this.
Yep! I have a cheap (kind of) prepaid phone and I don't answer callers I don't know. I'm not too worried about my number getting out because I can always call TMobile and have them change it. It will be a pain for the few people who do have my number to have to change it, but not that big of a deal. I never give our home phone number out to anyone.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:32 PM

I dunno, never dealt with CL.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:48 PM

I have had good luck with craigslist both selling and buying, but I have also encountered people who did not bother to return emails as well as buyers who are trying to scam. I suspect the most common reason for no response is that soon after they list the item they change their mind about selling, or it has sold, and they don't have the courtesy to remove the ad or to respond with a "Sorry, no longer available." I also think there are some who put items on there to test the market. If they get quick responses they figure they weren't asking enough and they'll list it later for a higher price. The fact that you pay nothing at all to use that service tends to open the door to people who like to take unfair advantage one way or another. Overall, it's still a great resource, and I will continue to use it in spite of frustrations.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:02 AM

That place scares me to death. I have heard and read in newspapers about a lot of scams, cheats and other immoral uses on this list. I would steer clear.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by bobquilt3
That place scares me to death. I have heard and read in newspapers about a lot of scams, cheats and other immoral uses on this list. I would steer clear.
Just like ebay or any other venue, there are MILLIONS of successful transactions on CL. You hear about a few that go bad because they make the news. It's like saying, I'm never riding in a car, I keep hearing about accidents on the road. (I actually knew a grown man who felt that way.)

There is risk in everything we do. You have to balance the risk against the reward. I'm sure that someone, somewhere, has died of blood poisoning after stabbing themselves with a needle or seam ripper. That doesn't mean we should give up sewing.

Just use your head and take precautions.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:33 AM

Send a second email stating that you sent an email on ..... and never heard from them. Just wondering if the item is still available. Just because you were probably the first to contact them doesn't mean that they'll call you back first.

I've posted on CL several times, I usually go with the person that can come the fastest. Sometimes it just boils down to what was said in the email and how it was stated.

Contact them again.

Good luck.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:20 PM

If I do not hear back from them in 24 hours, I will flag them. There are so many scams on Craigslist.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:19 PM
Power Poster

I have gotten things because I include my phone number in my email reply to ads. I space my phone number out so it will not come up automated. As far as spam goes, my email is full of spams - all goes to the spam file so I don't really care.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:02 PM

I have never tried to buy anything off of CL but I have posted ads on there with no problems. I load up a few different camera angles of the item. When I start receiving emails I answer immediately and if someone else is looking I will email them to let them know someone has already expressed interest in the item. If it doesn't sell to the first one I will email the second person to let them know either a) it's sold or b) it's theirs
Old 05-06-2012, 06:45 PM

.I tried selling some stuff on CL in Feb. I requested no e/mails and gave my phone# I answered all the inquiring e-mails as they came to my mailbox with my phone# to make things easier I never received any calls or replies Until yesterday I got 3 e-mails from yahoo telling me that 4 of my replies were undeliverable-Well you would think that message would have popped up 2 months ago and what happened to the rest of them I answered-- will I have to wait til July to find out ?? -I don't think I'll use CL again to try and sell anything.I hate playing phone tag so e-mail tag is an even bigger pain in the backside