Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Dbeck and I are going to San Francisco >

Dbeck and I are going to San Francisco

Dbeck and I are going to San Francisco

Old 02-28-2010, 08:29 AM

We are going in 2 weeks from today and want to know where we should visit while we are there and does anyone from the board live close to there? We are very excited to be going, we are staying a week.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:35 AM

I DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where are you staying? How long? I need details so I can help you. There is so much to see and do....I need to know your likes/dislikes....what made you plan the trip? Is there something you already have planned? You MUST check out BRITEX Fabrics while you are there. It's not a quilt store, but it's a fun, 4 story fabric/notions store. Too cool to pass up for sure.

We can talk on the phone if you'd like. Just send me a pm and I can help you out. Perhaps we can even meet for coffee or a meal?
Old 02-28-2010, 08:39 AM

I lived in the Bay area a few years ago and still have family there. Definitely the wharf and take one of the small fishing type boats for a tour of the bay, they are only $20-25, They will take you right under the bridge, I think it is a much better boat tour than the large tour boats. Try to see Alcatraz, but need a reservation early, Ghiadelli Square you have to have dessert at their ice cream shop. If you like Italian food go to the Stinking Rose in North Beach, and if you have a night free Beach Blanket Babylon is so funny. Oh and you have to ride a cable car, it can drop you at many of these places. If you feel like a walk, walk up to Coit Tower, also don't forget China Town. There is so much to do, you will be fine. If you are staying at a hotel they can give you many suggestions. All the Museums are wonderful.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:41 AM

SF is my favorite city! I am hoping to take my bf there this year...if the job comes thru.
I love the Alcatraz tour, fisherman's wharf, gotta see the seals down at Pier 39, golden gate bridge, japanese tea garden, I could go on forever!!
I haven't been since 1992 but I love it so much!!!
Old 02-28-2010, 08:41 AM

How could I forget http://britexfabrics.com/ they are right in Union Square. Go across to Sausalito and the Marin Headlands, if you have time

So much to see, so little time. :lol:
Old 02-28-2010, 08:46 AM

Dbeck's son is going with us, he wanted to take his mom on a special vacation because he always goes hunting or fishing with his dad. I am just an add on. Our brother lives there so that is why we picked San Francisco.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:47 AM

If you have a brother there, you are covered.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:49 AM

There is also the Amish Quilt Exhibit going on at the De Young Museum that I have not been to yet, but am planning to go. The De Young is FABULOUS and a must see. I don't know if you are a touristy person, or you want to just experience SF, or the outer areas. I'm not big on the tourist areas...Fisherman's Wharf etc. I think there is so much else to experience. You can ride a cable car to the Wharf, go to the Buena Vista and have an Irish Coffee (it's an SF tradition), then get yourself back to Union Square...shop, eat at Kuleto's (yummy), and if you like HUGE portions, there's a Cheesecake Factory on top of Macy's in Union Square. There are beautiful church's too see, and you should walk across the Golden Gate Bridge...it's an experience for everyone, and the view is amazing. The boat tours are nice, but again, you're packing in with lots of tourists.

SFMOMA (museum of modern art) is wonderful, the building is beautiful. I'm not as into Modern Art, but if you like art, it's a must-see.

There's Ocean Beach - who'd a thought SF has a beach, right? It's beautiful.

There is an amazing garden in Palo Alto, which is about an hour's drive. It's near the Stanford University Campus. I see you like gardening, so I'll find out the name and see if it's something you'd find worth your while.'

There is a Rose Garden in Golden Gate Park, a Japanese Tea Garden. Those are close to the De Young Musueum. Roses aren't really blooming yet, so probably not so stunning at this time of year.

SF is known for it's restaurants. There are so many, and so many types of foods. What's your favorite? Italian, Russian, Chinese, Vietnamese, American, high-falootin, low-falootin...all of it!
Old 02-28-2010, 09:00 AM

HEY!! Swing by and pick me up on your way!
Old 02-28-2010, 09:27 AM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

Let me know if you want to come up to the heart of the Gold Country, in the Sierra Foothills...we have amazing scenery, restaurants, wineries, B&Bs....a number of great quilt shops...just three hours from SF....I'd be glad to show you around. Send me a PM with your email address or phone number and we'll get together!