Deepest Apologies

Old 01-15-2013, 03:58 PM

How do you make friends in chat? Most seem to have conversations already in progress.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:15 PM

I have experinced this but what can I say I did met an quilter years ago in a chat room talked for about 3 years sent pictures called each other all the time well need to say she lives in Calif I live in MIch had a cheep air flight and went to met her in person omg that was the best trip I ever had she was like a sister I didnt have yes I stayed at her home and I wasnt scared to go all this way I felt as I known her a life time and we still talk and have a wonderful conversation I would be lost with this long distance friend rest my case
Old 01-15-2013, 04:21 PM
Power Poster

I have the problem with chat that I can't follow any conversation! Way too much for me so I can't do it.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:19 PM
Power Poster

I dont have a problem meetng strangers. They're only strangers till i say hi. All of my good friends were once a stranger. They tell me to beware of strangers. Ive met people from the board and we get together all the time. Keep on trying.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:27 PM
Power Poster

I seem to talk to everyone, about whatever the store im in. Im met all my friends thru online or jabbering away on lines to pay. You find out if you have something in common with them if you're in a craft store. Im very outgoing, so its easy for me. When i was younger, i used to be shy. No one believes me, but its true.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:30 PM

i've met with members from the board and it's quite fun. one quilter is an hour and a half away, but we have a whole lot of fun when we get together! so i try to get there about once a week. it's good for both of us. she knows some other quilters in her area and we try to get them to come over, too. sue has a bunch of machines and a great styudio and it's a party just waiting to happen!
sometimes it's just a matter of timing. i was invited to a quilter's home and to meet her guild, but i was about to have dental surgery and didn't want to appear in front of strangers toothless. another time a younger quilter and i met at an lqs and went on to do a mini-shop hop. shortly after she had a personal disaster, and even tho' i had nothing to do with it, seeing me would bring back her heartache. you never know what factors cause hesitation, and so often they have nothing to do with you personally.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:54 PM
ro
Banned

hi lynnie:
glad i didnt scare you away.
ro
Old 01-21-2013, 07:03 PM

Location: Standing in front of Walmart begging for fat quarters

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
One of my closest friends was a fellow quilter I met on an online forum (not here). She was collecting the new state quarters for her granddaughter, and was hoping to swap with someone on the other side of the country (because different states were released from different mints). We started pm-ing each other, then exchanged emails and really hit it off. However, this relationship took TIME to build. We emailed each other several times a day - pictures of quilts we liked, links to patterns, etc. Really got to know each other. We discovered that we're opposites in just about everything; the kinds of movies we like, our fabric preferences, the style of quilts we like, our musical tastes, etc. We started exchanging "squishies" or packages of goodies. I learned that if I didn't like the fabric or the pattern, chances were she WOULD! Being friends with her has forced me to expand my quilting horizons, and I mean that in a good way. I started out traditional and she's more modern, but being friends has helped us to experiment and grow in our tastes and skills.

We decided to start a blog together and worked on that together for a year or so. Then one day she told me she had a motel room in Paducah, and if I could get there, I could share her room. So we finally met in April 2010 and had a blast! My turn, and I got a room in Houston earlier this month and told her if she could get there, she could share my room. Once again, we had a blast! This has been one of the most rewarding relationships I have ever had. I love my Cin!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]376875[/ATTACH]

Don't give up on trying to meet new people. It can be very rewarding. Just take the time to grow the relationship, don't force it. Meet in neutral and fun locations, like maybe a joint LQS shopping trip followed by coffee and a scone. Good luck and have fun!
How cool is that?
Old 01-21-2013, 08:40 PM

I met 2 women about 3 yrs ago from the forum. We ended up with more from the board joining us. We now meet every month, added more quilters and have our own quilting group. We're good friends and do a number of things together during the year. Keep looking --- it's worth it!