Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Do you have a membership in a service club for your heating/ac unit? >
  • Do you have a membership in a service club for your heating/ac unit?

• Do you have a membership in a service club for your heating/ac unit?

Old 03-01-2015, 05:16 AM

I have a yearly service plan. I pay a flat amount once a year for which I get two service calls a year. One to check and service the air conditioner and one to do the furnace. The flat amount is less than the total cost of two service calls without the plan. I also get priority when I need a service call and a discount on any parts. It's definitely worth it. If I need them, they get out the same day.
    Old 03-01-2015, 05:22 AM

Yes we have a home service plan. It is called American Home Shield. It covers Washer, Dryer ,Fan, garbage disposal ,
    AC/Heater, Fridge and freezer and more. To name just a few. We pay $45.00 a month. If anything breaks down all we pay is a fee of $75.00 and the rest is covered by AHS. We have had this service for 9 years and have used them so many times for Washer/Dryer/garbage/AC etc. Great plan. Check them out.
    Old 03-01-2015, 05:24 AM

I know 'whole house' plans are available that would cover stove, fridge, washer/dryer, etc. but I have never used them. What I do have is a maintenance contract on my hot water heater and my furnace and a/c. They have paid off for me as I get priority service if something goes wrong.

A few years ago my furnace stopped working and, of course, it was the coldest week of the year. It turned out to be the furnace thermostat. They replaced it no charge and, as you might expect, they had calls coming our their ears. It could have taken several days for service if I hadn't had the contract, instead, I was warm within 24 hours.

Something very similar happened to the A/C during the hottest spell of the summer and it was the same story for service and, again, no charge. That time it was the A/C fan.

I can't really say what it costs as they just add it onto my utility bill when it comes due and I pay it out for a 3 month period, but I think it is definitely worth it.
    Old 03-01-2015, 09:17 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jeanne S
    I don't do anything monthly, but we have an annual maintenance contract that calls for them to come out and clean and check out everything twice a year--in the early spring before using the air conditioner and early fall before switching over to heat. I think it helps in the overall life of your units, and it does give us priority service calls if something goes out.
    This is the plan we have with a local provider. And they are good about priority calls like when I didn't know how to use the new thermostat!!
    Old 03-01-2015, 09:39 AM

No but I have been thanking about checking into one that would cover all major electric appliances.
    Old 03-01-2015, 11:52 AM

I got one when I moved up to Iowa as my heating system was very old though it had been updated. I knew it would cost a pretty penny if I had to replace it so thought having this extra maintenance plan a good idea. The 2nd year they stated they no longer serviced water baseboard heating which is what I have (and I love it too) so I called and was told I was grandfather'd in so not to worry. I also asked them if my system had to be replaced would they cover the entire cost, they stated yes. Last year I read the contract again and read where they only pay up to a certain amount for replacement, not the entire amount as I was lead to believe so I called them up and told them to cancel me when my contract was up. Seems not all their folks are up to date on what they will and won't cover. I spent 4 years of maintenance fees which I could have been saving up for a new system. Also found out that they pay up to whatever hasn't been spent for that unit during the year so if you've had a repair, then they would subtract that amount to the replacement cost so I'd still have to cough up thousands of dollars. I felt scammed to say the least cause that's not what they told me every year when I called to make sure my particular system was still covered. So folks, read the fine print, ask questions so you're both on the same page of thought.
    Old 03-02-2015, 01:26 AM

When I bought my house, I was also sold a "homeowners warranty" by American Family insurance company. This is in addition to my homeowner's insurance. This warranty covers nearly everything that my homeowner's does not. For about $50 per month, I can call for a repairman, set an appointment, and verify who is coming into my home. I have had to call electricians, plumbers, and even a couple contractors, and all I pay is $65 per incident. Worth every dime. It covers all of my appliances, heat/cooling system, plumbing, electrical, most everything. It used to be that you could only buy a homeowner's warranty when you bought a home, now they are available to every homeowner. I can not recommend it enough. The first year I owned my home, we had to call a plumber, and electrician, and have my bathroom/dining room wall repaired due to leak in the wall. Paid for itself! It covers repair or replacement if repair is not possible. Check into it, for about what you are paying now, you could cover your whole home. PM me if you want more info.

Last edited by madamekelly; 03-02-2015 at 01:29 AM.