Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Quilt Making Take More Time/Energy As You Get Older?

Blog Entries
    I know everyone on here is way younger than me, but it sure seems like making quilts is a much longer/tiring process than it used to be.

Remember when I basically sewed from daylight till sundown....no more! Used to cut out a K size quilt in one session...no more.Did all the pressing in one go.Sewed all the rows together ....ditto. No more! Always had 3-4 quilts ready to send to LA quilter.
    Just writing this down makes me realize why making a quilt seems to take longer, it does! Lots longer!
    Think I need a new name,how about "creakybones"?
    :lol: :lol:

creakybonesII here and I totally agree!

Banned
    Liberty Hill - Central TEXAS Hill Country
    Good morning Pat - you're not alone in that feeling (& probably not the oldest on here). I've found I have the same problem. All my quilts used to be hand quilted, but I find my hands now dictate when & how long I can do that.

But now at 77, EVERYTHING seems to be more difficult & take longer . It's 'ain't easy getting old!!! :XD:

Have a blessed day & may all your quilts be filled w/love.

:lol:

My 88 year old MIL says the same thing. However, she can sew circles around me. I can't cut donation quilt tops fast enough to keep her busy!! I'm getting a respite cause she is busy canning her garden produce. Hope I do as well at 88.:)

Blog Entries
    The work's not taking any longer. There's just more & more rest breaks between the working times. :)

I'm doing more difficult patterns as I get more experienced, and those take longer to do with more brain power engaged - so I find I need to step away more often and work on something else.

Like shows with Gordon Ramsey on them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Glassquilt
    The work's not taking any longer. There's just more & more rest breaks between the working times. :)
    :thumbup: :thumbup: :oops:

Quote Originally Posted by JulieR
    I'm doing more difficult patterns as I get more experienced, and those take longer to do with more brain power engaged - so I find I need to step away more often and work on something else.

This is so true......We just don't make basic Quilt Patterns anymore.......
    My good friend Nancy N. was telling me that WE[anyone over 40] are older quilter's.... The NEW Generation of Quilter's are buying the pre-cut's...they are finishing quilt's alot faster....the down side is when they want to learn to cut out material well, they don't like it!!!!! Says it takes too long...... They go back to pre-cuts.....That is sad:( :( :( .

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by luv-e
    Quote Originally Posted by JulieR

This is so true......We just don't make basic Quilt Patterns anymore.......
    My good friend Nancy N. was telling me that WE[anyone over 40] are older quilter's.... The NEW Generation of Quilter's are buying the pre-cut's...they are finishing quilt's alot faster....the down side is when they want to learn to cut out material well, they don't like it!!!!! Says it takes too long...... They go back to pre-cuts.....That is sad:( :( :( .
    Well, if just being over 40 makes you an "older' quilter, then I must be an 'antique (sorry, gotta be PC - Vintage)' quilter. :XD: :XD:

You're right about the newer generation of quilter's thou - I was 'out' of quilting for about 10 yrs., & now there are SO MANY new techniques & quilters "toys" out there, I don't know how to even use them.

It's interesting to get to live this long & realize many of the techniques I 1st used are just not "in" anymore. :lol:

Well, I am 39 and a half and I love to buy layer cakes -- but only layer cakes, and only because they give me "just enough" of a collection to give me a taste. But it still needs slicing.

So I wonder if we can tell age by attitude toward pre-cuts? I'm *almost* 40, and I *almost* don't buy pre-cuts. LOL!!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast