Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Does Quilt Making Take More Time/Energy As You Get Older? >

Does Quilt Making Take More Time/Energy As You Get Older?

Does Quilt Making Take More Time/Energy As You Get Older?

Old 08-21-2011, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Suzi
Originally Posted by GailG
Honey, my back gives out more quickly, my feet swell to look like small loaves of bread, my eyes ache, and my fingers tingle from holding the rotary cutter, and I've got to run to the bathroom more frequently. So I just take more breaks (ON HERE) and then forget to get back to it. Such is life. Don't give up. Just don't make any promises and when the project is done, it's done. :o)

Do while others are airing out their age, I'll be 71 on Monday. Ho-hum.
LOLOLOL - and a HaPpY BiRtHdAy to you, Gail !!! Keep on keepin' on ................
Thanks Suzy. As long as I'm putting my business on the street -- that is also the day I begin my prep for a colonoscopy on Thursday! lol and yuk.

:lol:
Old 08-21-2011, 12:24 PM

Yep, everything seems to take longer the older I get. Old age definitely is not for sissies!!
GailG, I just had my first colonoscopy last Wednesday at the age of 66. The prep is the worst part!! Wow, glad it's over. They got a little concerned over my bp..215over85!!! Told 'em that I was really wound up over the whole thing.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:50 PM
Power Poster

boy,you'd better believe it! my energy level ain't what it used to be.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:49 PM

Honey, my back gives out more quickly, my feet swell to look like small loaves of bread, my eyes ache, and my fingers tingle from holding the rotary cutter, and I've got to run to the bathroom more frequently. So I just take more breaks (ON HERE) and then forget to get back to it. Such is life. Don't give up. Just don't make any promises and when the project is done, it's done. :o)

LOLOLOL - and a HaPpY BiRtHdAy to you, Gail !!! Keep on keepin' on ................
Thanks Suzy. As long as I'm putting my business on the street -- that is also the day I begin my prep for a colonoscopy on Thursday! lol and yuk.

Doing someting good to celebrate your birthday - good for you!
Old 08-22-2011, 02:28 PM

My 89 year old cousin says that getting old isn't for sissies. I agree.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:28 PM

Doing someting good to celebrate your birthday - good for you!
I did!! I sewed on quilt blocks ALL day long. Only stopped to eat, potty breaks, and visited my mom for a little while. She lives nextdoor.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:19 PM

Happy Birthday and r you the lucky lady to live next store to your Mom::: Ohh I miss my Mom sooo much and would love to sit and have a cup of coffee w/her. I do have many memories of our sewing together and that is a Blessing. Be so happy that you can be together: God Bless.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltinelaine
Happy Birthday and r you the lucky lady to live next store to your Mom::: Ohh I miss my Mom sooo much and would love to sit and have a cup of coffee w/her. I do have many memories of our sewing together and that is a Blessing. Be so happy that you can be together: God Bless.
I am happy and DO feel so blessed. My mom is almost 94. Actually when I began sewing, it took a load off of her. The sister just after me also sewed, so the only one she had to sew for was the tiny sister. (There was a ten year gap between the first two and the last two). Then I began to help with the sewing for the last sister. I remember many a Saturday afternoon helping her to finish a dress for her to wear that night. Those were the days!

We had a great laugh together yesterday. (She still has a great sense of humor) When I was leaving, she said, "Now go and get some rest so you can do something fun for your birthday tomorrow." I said, "Well, you almost missed it, it's today." She was so surprised! She remarked, "I thought something was familiar with today's Mass readings. I knew you were born on the feast of the Queenship of Mary." So once we had a good laugh about "getting old" she checked her calendar to see if I was right. :wink:
Old 08-23-2011, 04:49 PM

Glad to hear there are others like myself 65 and not as fast and since I retired I get less done. I buy the fabric and then just don't get to it but it's all my work when done. Join the club of Sr's are great. Sue
Old 08-30-2011, 11:58 AM

Everything takes longer as we get older. I have been paying my granddaughter to clean my house every couple weeks. She gets it done in two or three hours. Marching band has started so she has no spare time. I cleaned the kitchen today. Took me a couple of hours with resting. I am canning tomatoes. By time I finish with them, I have no time to sew. GD goes to college next year so she won't be around to do it for me. I am happy that I am able to do it even if it does take me a lot longer.