Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Does Quilt Making Take More Time/Energy As You Get Older? >

Does Quilt Making Take More Time/Energy As You Get Older?

Does Quilt Making Take More Time/Energy As You Get Older?

Old 08-19-2011, 10:44 AM

I'm 62 and when much younger and sewing for three daughters, I could accomplish much more, much faster. Once I made a homecoming dress for my youngest working Wed night, Thurs night and she wore it Friday. This was after working an 8-hour day. Those days are long gone now. It does seem to take me longer these days but part of the reason is I've purposely slowed down and don't feel "driven" to finish by a certain time. I'm enjoying the process more now that I'm older and slower.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:42 AM

When I would complain that I didn't get that done when expected, my DH never failed to remind me that I was also 20+ yrs. younger then. What a blow. As if I needed to be reminded.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:05 PM

Reminds me....when I have Dr appt & say "what,I never had that before"...his ans is "you were never this age before" :D

Originally Posted by Marge L.
When I would complain that I didn't get that done when expected, my DH never failed to remind me that I was also 20+ yrs. younger then. What a blow. As if I needed to be reminded.
:D
Old 08-19-2011, 12:14 PM

I tatally agree with you. If I spent say 2 hours in my sewing room I will sew for one hour and spent the next hour looking for scissors, strips I just cut etc. I used to just whip thru this but like you, now it just takes longer. But we won't give up will we?
Old 08-19-2011, 01:20 PM

Everything takes longer the older you get. It takes me so much longer to go someplace, I have to return to the house so many times because I forgot something.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:31 PM

Possibly it takes longer than it used to because we are making larger ones than before. My greatgreatgreat grandma didn't make queen or king sized quilts.
I love the whole process of choosing the fabrics, cutting, piecing, layering, quilting, and binding. I don't buy the precuts. I haven't used my charms.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by karate lady
Originally Posted by plainpat
I know everyone on here is way younger than me, but it sure seems like making quilts is a much longer/tiring process than it used to be.

Remember when I basically sewed from daylight till sundown....no more! Used to cut out a K size quilt in one session...no more.Did all the pressing in one go.Sewed all the rows together ....ditto. No more! Always had 3-4 quilts ready to send to LA quilter.
Just writing this down makes me realize why making a quilt seems to take longer, it does! Lots longer!
Think I need a new name,how about "creakybones"?
:lol: :lol:
not for me, but everything else does. guess it is your personal perception. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Im 81 and getting better and better at one thing!
P R O C R A S T I N A T I O N ! :? :?
LOL!!! Jeannie
Old 08-19-2011, 03:40 PM
Power Poster

Yes, I don't have the stamina I used to, but adapt to the everchaning me:-)
Everything takes longer to do so I "do" when the mood strikes otherwise I pick up a book or watch a movie.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:06 PM

Oh my goodness, slower isn't all! I "make" a lot of quilts "in my mind" cause I know my body won't allow me to make them for real. :(
Old 08-19-2011, 05:18 PM

It's time to enjoy these borrowed years ..... do what you can when you feel like doing it, otherwise go read a book, watch the birds, feed the ducks, smell the flowers and work on a quilt. Above all else .............. ENJOY!!!