Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Does Quilt Making Take More Time/Energy As You Get Older? >

Does Quilt Making Take More Time/Energy As You Get Older?

Does Quilt Making Take More Time/Energy As You Get Older?

Old 08-19-2011, 08:13 AM

Definitely takes much longer to do everything. Used to do the all-nighters. No way now.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:23 AM

I hear you......loud and clear! Lots of things much slower in getting accomplished!
Old 08-19-2011, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by plainpat
I know everyone on here is way younger than me, but it sure seems like making quilts is a much longer/tiring process than it used to be.

Remember when I basically sewed from daylight till sundown....no more! Used to cut out a K size quilt in one session...no more.Did all the pressing in one go.Sewed all the rows together ....ditto. No more! Always had 3-4 quilts ready to send to LA quilter.
Just writing this down makes me realize why making a quilt seems to take longer, it does! Lots longer!
Think I need a new name,how about "creakybones"?
:lol: :lol:
Everything takes longer! LOL The house I use to be able to whip through and cleaned up in a day, now takes me...well let's just say, I get side-tracked and never do seem to get everything done. This board does not help matters either. :roll:
Old 08-19-2011, 09:00 AM

This is an interesting subject. Getting older is not the "golden years" but I still enjoy the process of quilting--cutting, choosing colors, sewing, etc. Find I have to consentrate on what I am doing--as soon as my mind wanders, I make a mistake--ex: last night wanted to cut a "charm" in half instead I cut it into a 4" block. I try to work on quilts daily (if only for 1/2 hour)--eventually the small quilt will get done--no bedsize quilts. (82)
Old 08-19-2011, 09:02 AM

I think as we get older we get more fussy about what we do. So instead of saying well, its just a little off we rip it out and do it agin. Or after we make 50 squares decide we really don't like the quilt or pattern, this is after spending 2 weeks picking out colors. I guess getting older doesn't mean getting smarter.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:07 AM

I find that I've learned from all my earlier sewing jam sessions to take my time and cut accuratey, press more frequently, so I don't speed through finished a quilt like I used to.

Plus my back gets all spasmy (new word) if I sit too long at the sewing machine so I have to get up and do other things.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:20 AM

I am on my first quilt and I was wonderfing why it was taking so long.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:24 AM

I think as we get older, we take longer to make a quilt because we have the time to enjoy the process. I know when my children were younger, I went for the faster pieced quilts so I could get them done. Now, I love pieceing small pieces. Maybe I'm just getting crazier in my mature years :)
Old 08-19-2011, 09:50 AM

I know everyone on here is way younger than me, but it sure seems like making quilts is a much longer/tiring process than it used to be.

Remember when I basically sewed from daylight till sundown....no more! Used to cut out a K size quilt in one session...no more.Did all the pressing in one go.Sewed all the rows together ....ditto. No more! Always had 3-4 quilts ready to send to LA quilter.
Just writing this down makes me realize why making a quilt seems to take longer, it does! Lots longer!
not for me, but everything else does. guess it is your personal perception. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 08-19-2011, 09:50 AM

not for me, but everything else does. guess it is your personal perception. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: