dog and storms

Old 10-24-2011, 08:20 PM

Has anyone here used those vest or sweater type things for your dogs that are afraid of storms. Do they really work? My little 12 yr old poddle is terrified and gets worse with age, I am afraid he is going to have a heart attack he shakes so bad. Have tried meds from the vet, but they don't help. Any advice on these vests?
Old 10-24-2011, 09:30 PM

I heard from a friend that her friend used them and they worked wonders. I have never used them though. I also read that you could use an unscented dryer sheet before the storm and wipe it on the dogs back and it works good to calm them, I tried it during a storm and it did nothing.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:48 PM
Power Poster

There are several people on the board that highly recommend the Thundershirts. I haven't found the money yet to be able to afford one, but I give my miniature poodle Children's Benadryl and it will calm her down in about an hour. It isn't made by Benadryl anymore but Kmart has a brand that has the same ingredients. My vet recommended this because it has almost no side effects compared to the drugs that they sell. I had to do something during the fireworks for the 4th of July. My poodle would panic and pant nonstop. Her tongue would hang out and I couldn't calm her. I was afraid she was going to have a heart attack and she is only 4 years old.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:09 PM

I LOVE thundershirts!!! My lil 7lb dog shook and hid when storms came! Now unless they r severe she just lays down! When they real bad I take the corner of a sheet and wrap her in it over the thundershirt and she lays down ! I also have the pheromone spray I use with bad storms. I bought one for my dd dog!
Old 10-24-2011, 11:01 PM

I'm thinking about getting one of these for our Doberman, Emily. We do not have storms around here like other places, but I'd love to have it work for her when we're "going for a ride."

She perks up when you say go - for a ride? and runs to the vehicle, etc. The only problem is when she realizes we're heading home. She "paces" between the front two passenger seats and to the back of drivers side and looks out the drivers window. She also does some whiney noise. Very distracting! :roll:
Old 10-24-2011, 11:02 PM
Google Goddess

I use the unscented fabric softener sheets and rub on the back of my small shih tzu head and it calmed her right down and now I rub it on her when a storm is approaching

really does work

Originally Posted by timepasser
Has anyone here used those vest or sweater type things for your dogs that are afraid of storms. Do they really work? My little 12 yr old poddle is terrified and gets worse with age, I am afraid he is going to have a heart attack he shakes so bad. Have tried meds from the vet, but they don't help. Any advice on these vests?
Old 10-25-2011, 01:13 AM

I have one for the Rottweiller. It helps but it isn't a cure. I try to walk him in every storm I can to desensitize him.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:14 AM

They are also great when you are waiting in the Vet's office. No more shaking, nervous pup.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:35 AM

I've bought one awhile ago, and am disappointed.. I tried it numerous times, with no difference in symptoms.. I find Benadryl works..
Barri
Old 10-25-2011, 03:09 AM

My friend has them for two of her dogs and swears by them.