Donating to Soldiers

Old 09-11-2015, 12:46 PM

Default Donating to Soldiers

Just got finished watching a video with this man in the Navy, sewing patches on his Navy blouse, my son retired from the Air Force, so I know what most of the soldiers have to go through.. getting patches sewn on.. I was able to sew a few for my son, but he was stationed quite a distance from me, so that meant he had to pay someone to sew the patches on. Most patches cost the soldiers $3.00 each, everytime the soldier gets a promotion they have to have new patches.. sometimes it can be up to 4 or 5 patches. What I was thinking that if anyone that lives close to a military base and can't donate anything other than some volunteer time, it would be nice to offer to sew patches on for these soldiers, that would be a way of giving back, and saving them money. I know there has to be a lot of young people that have just joined the military and sure could use the help.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:35 PM
Power Poster

This is a great idea-thanks for suggesting it.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:48 PM

What a great suggestion.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:50 PM
Power Poster

Great suggestion. A great way to give back~
Old 09-12-2015, 08:00 AM

if you volunteer, make sure you understand the rules and regulations involved in sewing the patch. Some commandeers are real sticklers, that is why they can charge $3 per patch. FYI, sewing on patches is not easy!! As my grandson which choice words I used as I took them off and had to re-do!! LOL
Old 09-12-2015, 08:19 AM

AZ Jane, thank you for mentioning about the rules and regulations about how the patches are supposed to go.. I forgot to say anything about that and I should have, my son retired from the Air Force and I sewed a few for him, I didn't live close enough to be able to do all of them.. so he had to show me how they went.
Old 09-12-2015, 12:53 PM

Years ago when DH was aboard ship he would size patches on uniforms. His mother always sewed and he knew how to sew, still does.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:15 AM

My husband went to the Kansas City VA Hospital and while I was waiting for him there was a Vet that came into the room with his service dog. The dog had a red vest on that said he was a service dog. It was torn and in really bad shape. His dog was at his feet and when someone came near him he was watching and keeping an eye on the vet. We got talking and he said they have given him new vests but he does not sew and know no one to sew the patches on the vest for his dog. I wanted to offer to do it for him, but we lived over an hour from the hospital. I asked if anyone is near a VA hospital and or near agencies that provide service dog and they sew, please check if they have need for sewing patches on the service dogs vest. We were in the process of moving to Texas and I was not able to assist them, but I know some will. As soon as we are settled here in the Houston TX area I will be checking here. Thanks
Old 09-13-2015, 04:33 AM

I have a friend whose son is career military. Before he first went into the service, she taught him how to sew on a button and the basics of sewing. He reported that he was able to take in a nice little piece of pocket change by knowing how to do this as he sewed the patches, not only for himself but, for his buddies. Good to teach your sons/grandsons how to sew!
Old 09-13-2015, 04:44 AM
Power Poster

How would one go about volunteering to do this?

Where could one find the rules and regulations for how to sew on these patchrs? Do they need to be machine sewed? Hand sewed?