Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Donating to Soldiers

Blog Entries

Donating to Soldiers

Just got finished watching a video with this man in the Navy, sewing patches on his Navy blouse, my son retired from the Air Force, so I know what most of the soldiers have to go through.. getting patches sewn on.. I was able to sew a few for my son, but he was stationed quite a distance from me, so that meant he had to pay someone to sew the patches on. Most patches cost the soldiers $3.00 each, everytime the soldier gets a promotion they have to have new patches.. sometimes it can be up to 4 or 5 patches. What I was thinking that if anyone that lives close to a military base and can't donate anything other than some volunteer time, it would be nice to offer to sew patches on for these soldiers, that would be a way of giving back, and saving them money. I know there has to be a lot of young people that have just joined the military and sure could use the help.

Blog Entries
    This is a great idea-thanks for suggesting it.

What a great suggestion.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Great suggestion. A great way to give back~
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

if you volunteer, make sure you understand the rules and regulations involved in sewing the patch. Some commandeers are real sticklers, that is why they can charge $3 per patch. FYI, sewing on patches is not easy!! As my grandson which choice words I used as I took them off and had to re-do!! LOL
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Blog Entries
    AZ Jane, thank you for mentioning about the rules and regulations about how the patches are supposed to go.. I forgot to say anything about that and I should have, my son retired from the Air Force and I sewed a few for him, I didn't live close enough to be able to do all of them.. so he had to show me how they went.

Years ago when DH was aboard ship he would size patches on uniforms. His mother always sewed and he knew how to sew, still does.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

My husband went to the Kansas City VA Hospital and while I was waiting for him there was a Vet that came into the room with his service dog. The dog had a red vest on that said he was a service dog. It was torn and in really bad shape. His dog was at his feet and when someone came near him he was watching and keeping an eye on the vet. We got talking and he said they have given him new vests but he does not sew and know no one to sew the patches on the vest for his dog. I wanted to offer to do it for him, but we lived over an hour from the hospital. I asked if anyone is near a VA hospital and or near agencies that provide service dog and they sew, please check if they have need for sewing patches on the service dogs vest. We were in the process of moving to Texas and I was not able to assist them, but I know some will. As soon as we are settled here in the Houston TX area I will be checking here. Thanks

I have a friend whose son is career military. Before he first went into the service, she taught him how to sew on a button and the basics of sewing. He reported that he was able to take in a nice little piece of pocket change by knowing how to do this as he sewed the patches, not only for himself but, for his buddies. Good to teach your sons/grandsons how to sew!

Power Poster
    How would one go about volunteering to do this?

Where could one find the rules and regulations for how to sew on these patchrs? Do they need to be machine sewed? Hand sewed?

A great idea but also it would be a great idea to teach a soldier to sew!
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
    Susan

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I would think you contact the base and let them know. If there is a recruiting office nearby, they may be able to help.
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    How would one go about volunteering to do this?

Where could one find the rules and regulations for how to sew on these patchrs? Do they need to be machine sewed? Hand sewed?

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by susiequilt View Post
    A great idea but also it would be a great idea to teach a soldier to sew!
    I totally agree - same category as "teach a man how to fish . . . "

A good thing to do for the guys (and gals)! I've sewn them on for my son before so I know how precise they have to be. He has actually paid to have some sewn on only to have me take them off and fix them for him. Very frustrating and definitely not fun! I just did some uniforms for a couple of guys in the final weeks of state trooped training. They were so cute. I told them I don't normally do that type of sewing but I would do it for them. What I thought was a uniform each ended up being 3 each with 2 patches each. They tried to pay me and I told them that I appreciated the job they were getting ready to do and it was the least I could do. The mother of one of them (how they found me), said that they told her they would pay me "anything." I told her to tell them that they could pay me by wearing their bullet proof vests and staying safe!!
    Debbie in Kentucky
    kydeb.wordpress.com

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I once had a friend stuck in a nearby hotel for a couple of weeks while her flooded apartment was being cleaned up. She called me from there to say she had run into a young soldier in the lobby, who needed some patches sewn and had "volunteered" my help. I quickly packed up my machine and supplies and went right over -- it being literally around the corner -- and did the work right in front of him. He was so astonished at both of us when I refused any payment and, indeed, we handed him $10 to go out to dinner next door.
    Felt GREAT!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

My husband is in the army, just thought I'd mention most patches are Velcro now. They switched the uniforms to no iron as well except the dress uniforms. They are right the measurements have to be percise. You should be able to contact a Chaplain on any base.....You'd be surprised how powerful chaplains are on a military base.
    *Rachel*

Great suggestion. Thanks for posting.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort