Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Emi had his first communion...and is not spring yet! >

Emi had his first communion...and is not spring yet!

Emi had his first communion...and is not spring yet!

Old 09-18-2010, 06:24 PM

My kids were in public school when we lived in Plattsburgh, but now that we live in the Bronx I wanted the small school environment. Jorgie goes to a private school in Manhathan and Emi to the same Catholic school my daughter went when we lived here.

With all the trouble we had for the last 2 years, I wasn't even thinking about enrolling him for his first communion, for which he was due last spring. The teacher is aware, but that s another story.

On Thursday they had a mass to celebrate the opening of the school year and everyone attended. I remembered about it today and asked Emmanuel, to make sure he didn't get the communion. He said: Oh! I did! They gave it to me, I chewed it and swallowed. I could not control myself and laughed. I explained to him (again) that he was not supposed to get it until the spring. He said. Don't worry, I have no rush to get it again; it didn't taste good. I don't wish to upset anyone, but I thought it was too funny.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:29 PM
Power Poster

LMBO out of the mouth of babes :D:D:D
Old 09-18-2010, 06:37 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Isn't it so great when they are honest. Gotta love em.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:57 PM

You didn't upset me. That is too funny! Our DGS gets his First Communion next spring also, I think he will think it tastes funny too! Bless their hearts!
Old 09-18-2010, 07:00 PM

No being Catholic... Why is the first communion held in the spring? I thought it was because that was when the children completed their catechism classes.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Leota
No being Catholic... Why is the first communion held in the spring? I thought it was because that was when the children completed their catechism classes.
I have the same question. And, also, what exactly does communion signify?
Old 09-18-2010, 07:38 PM
Power Poster

Sorry, I would love to answer some of these questions, but I think it is better if I do not. There is a rule about not discussing Religion and I don't really know how much I could say without getting into trouble...

I do want to say that I thought it was funny too. Just don't tell on me.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:59 PM

I went to Catholic parochial schools from Kindergarten through 12th grade from 1956 to 1970 (a long time ago). Back then we made our First Holy Communion at the end of 2nd grade. Children at the end of 2nd grade are at least 7 years old which was traditionally considered the "age of reason" meaning that at that point a child would know right from wrong and would be able to understand the catechism questions and answers regarding the teachings of the Church. The Sacrament of Holy Communion in the Catholic Church is in accordance with the teachings of Jesus, according to the Holy Bible, when he shared bread and wine with the Apostles at the Last Supper and said, "This is my body... This is my blood... Do this in remembrance of me." When Catholics receive Communion we believe that through the miracle of faith we are receiving Jesus into our souls by sharing the transformed bread and wine. The word communion means to come together so we are coming together with God and with the other communicants. This is just in answer to the questions posed. Please do not feel that I am pushing my beliefs on anyone, this is just for general knowledge purposes.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:27 PM
Power Poster

Don't be surprised because this could be deleted. That is the reason I shied away from it.

You should probably pm if we want to discuss it.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
Don't be surprised because this could be deleted. That is the reason I shied away from it.

You should probably pm if we want to discuss it.
Not a problem...as I explained, I was just answering the question, not preaching or prosthelitizing. Maria shared a very cute and funny story about her child which just happened to arouse some curiosity. Better to get a straight answer to a question than to make incorrect assumptions about another person's culture or religious practices.

Maria, your story made me chuckle :)