Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: First Ever Gingher Scissors!

Blog Entries

First Ever Gingher Scissors!

I just purchased from Joanne's my first pair of Gingher Scissors. I've never owned an expensive pair of scissors and was so tired of my Fiskars not cutting well. I bought the Knife-Edge 7" Dressmaker Shears and yes, they cut so smoothly. But, they are so stiff that they are uncomfortable to cut with. Do I need to "oil" them or just continue to use them until they loosen up??

Blog Entries
    yes put a drop of oil where the screw is, be sure to clean them off before cutting so you won't get oil stains. I have some I bought about 7 years ago, just get them sharpened every couple of years
    Patski
    always learning

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    As you use them they will "soften up".
    When you have them sharpened, send them to Ginghers in North Carolina (google them for address and how-to). They are inexpensive, professional, and quick.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.

i own three gingher sissors. oh my i love them.

I bought my one and only pair of Gingher scissors in the early 1980's when I was into clothing construction. I think I paid $12 for them and thought that was very expensive for a pair of scissors. I used them a LOT back then and still pull them out when I need to cut fabric with scissors. It was the best $12 I have ever spent on sewing notions! They have never been sharpened, but I do keep them well guarded from any manly hands that think they need to cut something besides fabric.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    yes put a drop of oil where the screw is, be sure to clean them off before cutting so you won't get oil stains. I have some I bought about 7 years ago, just get them sharpened every couple of years
    I have a pair as well. They are so stiff I need to use both hands to open them. DH tried them and they are really stiff.There's no screw to loosen. They are sharp but useless to me. I've had them a year, I keep working them hoping they will loosen up a tad.
    True4uca

Banned
    I have many gingher scissors, most were gifts and never used. I disliked the one I bought so much, never used them again - first off - they're way too heavy.
    I'm a Fiskars lady.

Blog Entries
    As I am getting older (aren't we all) my arthritis in my hand is getting worse, and I find it getting more difficult to use my beloved Ginghers. They are too heavy, so it's back to Fiskars.

I've never tried Gingher but I love my Mundials pair. Got them when all cutting items were 50% off and they weren't very expensive. They are "softies" with the cushioned handle, and are lightweight to use.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in Minnesota View Post
    As I am getting older (aren't we all) my arthritis in my hand is getting worse, and I find it getting more difficult to use my beloved Ginghers. They are too heavy, so it's back to Fiskars.
    Check your sewing stores. I have a pair of Ginghers that have hardly any weight to them. The outside is a black plastic and that may put you off, but trust me, these are the scissors I hide. Not all Ginghers are heavy.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast