Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
First Ever Gingher Scissors! >

First Ever Gingher Scissors!

First Ever Gingher Scissors!

Old 10-08-2012, 04:55 AM

I think the best pair of scissors out their is Kai, i have two sets, bought more than twenty years ago, never been sharpened.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:39 AM

I used Gingher when I did clothing construction but have found that I love Fiskar soft touch with a spring in the handle and they are so much easier to use and less tiring.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:32 AM

MY ginghers aren't heavy at all. Hmmmmmmm wonder what the difference is. I paid around $35. for them quite a while ago.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:34 AM

Check with your LQS. Ginghers makes a special pair, coated in black composite, that weigh next to nothing. The stay sharp forever. These for arthritic hands.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:42 PM

It's sad, but there is no LQS in my area and it's a large metropolitan area. I have the spring loaded Fiskars if that's the ones where you "lock" the handle and they do cut very well. Some of my smaller Fiskars won't cut either near the base or all the way to the tip...just aggravating.

What type of oil do you use...just regular sewing machine oil?
Old 10-08-2012, 05:42 PM

I own 2 pairs of the 7" bent shears, one has flags on the handles and 3 pairs of the embroidery scissors, 1 of them is a fancy floral. Best scissors I've ever owned. One of the larger pairs, I've had since the early 1990s.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:14 PM

coopah beat me to it. I love my Lightweight Ginghers. I have had them for years and they remain wonderful.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:38 PM

I love my Gingher's. I have several pairs. To those who need a lighter weight scissor, did you know Ginghers makes a black plastic handled scissor that is very light weight? Every couple of years, I send all of my Ginghers back to Gingher to be sharpened. They do a fantastic job at a reasonable rate. They even made two pair of mine like new that my son had used to cut wire. I was going to throw them away, but thought I'd try having them sharpen them. I was very impressed.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:07 AM

I do machine applique so I have my Ginghers stashed everywhere! I often cut hundreds of pieces out for one quilt. The one I am working on now has a whole box of baggies filled with pieces! This is section one of three.
Attached Thumbnails flowers-020-blog-ready.jpg  
Old 10-10-2012, 04:52 AM

I used to sell Ginghers, they ARE the best. For one thing, the 'spring loaded' ones ARE heavy...If you can, take them back and get the shorter Ginghers...They aren't as big as the ones you have, and much easier to use, they will cut thru anything!! I would just return them, tell them they are too big, and stiff. I got a pair of those some years back, YES they are heavy and stiff...not sure why. I hope you will get another pair, they are the best.

Originally Posted by Nanamoms View Post
It's sad, but there is no LQS in my area and it's a large metropolitan area. I have the spring loaded Fiskars if that's the ones where you "lock" the handle and they do cut very well. Some of my smaller Fiskars won't cut either near the base or all the way to the tip...just aggravating.

What type of oil do you use...just regular sewing machine oil?