Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
First Ever Gingher Scissors! >

First Ever Gingher Scissors!

First Ever Gingher Scissors!

Old 10-10-2012, 08:26 AM

I second returning the stiff Ginghers and getting a pair that is right for you. I am using my coupon this week to get another pair - maybe some smaller ones. Ginghers wants you to be happy. Just be sure you have the sales slip. When I was a JoAnn employee, Ginghers were one of the things most often shop lifted and a Gingher return without a sales slip was suspect and needed a manager. That and expensive cross stitch kits. I had a young lady try to return Ginghers for cash one evening. When I told I'd need manager's approval, she left the scissors on the counter and departed the store quickly. Hmmm.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:27 PM

While taking a class at LQS I was using my scissors and the owner said
"try these", it was Gingher scissors, well that sold me and I bought a pair
and love them...they are not heavy and cut like a dream...
Old 10-18-2012, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Oksewnsew View Post
I used to sell Ginghers, they ARE the best.
They are NOT the same scissors they were just a few years ago.

My favorite pair of scissors is a Gingher 5" Knife Edge Sewing Scissors that I bought about five years ago. I use them daily at my sewing table.

Last week I bought a second pair as I was considering sending these in for their first sharpening. As soon as I got the new pair home and out of the packaging I felt the difference. The new pair feels cheap, lightweight, and stiff. And, Yes, I am certain that they are the same Gingher “model” not one of their similar models. Both pair are the “Gingher 5-inch Knife Edge SEWING Scissors”

To see if my assessment was inaccurate, I grabbed both pair of scissors and my digital postage scale. My original pair weighs 1.6 ounces. The "new" pair weighs 1.2 ounces -- a significant down-sizing.

Was Gingher was bought out by another company? Their scissors are no longer made in Germany. I don’t know what accounts for the difference, but it is not a small difference, and these new scissors are definitely not as nice.

Last edited by AtHomeSewing; 10-18-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:31 PM

I'm sorry to hear they are not as good, mine are close to 10 yrs old..I looked online and found that they are made in Greensboro, NC..