Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Five Years Ago an Ice Storm Hit The State of Kentucky >

Five Years Ago an Ice Storm Hit The State of Kentucky

Five Years Ago an Ice Storm Hit The State of Kentucky

Old 01-27-2014, 07:52 PM

We were out of power 18 days. We had a generator and often traveled over an hour to fill the 6 5 gal gas cans so we could go 4 to 5 days without running out. Hubby back wired the generator so we had power thru the whole house.

My Dad was 79 and we made him come stay with us (told him he was "helping me out") as we couldn't get gas to him as well as us. Our Daughter in Law was 7 months pregnant and had a 4 year old also and had them come stay with us too. Our son is in the Nat'l Guard and he was deployed out to help others. Hubby is a truck driver and was on the road.

However we were lucky. We had gas furnace, water heater and stove so we could run it all with the generator. We had DISH so we could watch TV. But I would only let them do all of this once it was getting cold, lol.

We played a lot of cards and learned about each other. All in all it was a learning experience and we were the lucky ones.

We washed clothes one day and had laundry lines strung all over the back deck and trees...looked like a hobo town.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:39 AM
Power Poster

I remember in Cleveland years ago we lot our electric to an ice storm. We had no power for a week...Homes across the road had power but our side of the street had none...I was glad we had a wood stove...
Old 01-28-2014, 01:19 PM

Years ago in in Vancouver, WA we had an ice storm that hit during a gathering of friends at my apartment. When everyone tried to go home, none of the cars would get up the driveway, so for five days me, my 2 DD, and 9 friends lived in that two bedroom apartment. It had a few tense moments (bathroom hogs) but otherwise it was very nice. I was real glad to send everyone home though. Lol! My car froze solid, but after it thawed, it still ran. Never underestimate an old car for toughness.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:56 AM
Power Poster

We had a snow storm here in Charleston SC about three years ago. We had 6 inches of snow and lost power for 3 days. Last night we had an ice storm and about an inch or two of snow..Now that is freaky....It is in the low 30s today and will get down in the teens tonight...Ice is hanging from the trees and the house..I hate cold weather...
Old 01-29-2014, 10:01 AM

A few Winter's ago we were without power for 5 days. We stayed home and slept in layers and layers of clothing. We could still use our kitchen gas stove for cooking so that was good.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:16 PM

We strictly have wood heat. So we are always covered during a power outage. We do have a small generator that runs our pump as we have a private well for water. I even have a treadle machine for sewing. Would like to get a hand crank machine too for a backup. We are getting freezing rain now. BURR! It is cold.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:15 PM

I live in Owensboro, KY where we were wiped out by that ice storm. I think every power utility pole in a 20 mile radius was knocked down. Power was out for most of us for 10 days and for some rural customers almost a month. Nearby rural counties were in really bad shape. Power companies came from all over the south, stayed in local motels and worked around the clock to get the power lines back up again. Local churches took turns cooking meals to feed those guys that volunteered to come here and work. Our home is all electric, so we went to my Mom's to stay because she had gas heat and stove. It was AWFUL! Lost all my house plants and the food in the fridge and freezer. When they predicted another severe ice storm here several months ago, we went right out and bought a generator. I won't be caught unprepared again!
Old 01-29-2014, 05:19 PM

I was without power for 13 days and live in a total electric house. 8 miles of poles snapped and had to be replaced. Luckily I have a kero stove for emergency heating of 1 room and a propane grill that can be used indoors. I wasn't able to get out for several days and had 2 baby goats in a crate being bottle fed. I learned to knit by lamp light and made a pair of wool socks to keep hubby's feet warm. I learned how much I depend on my technological inventions but that I can survive without.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by KyKaren1949 View Post
I live in Owensboro, KY where we were wiped out by that ice storm. I think every power utility pole in a 20 mile radius was knocked down. Power was out for most of us for 10 days and for some rural customers almost a month. Nearby rural counties were in really bad shape. Power companies came from all over the south, stayed in local motels and worked around the clock to get the power lines back up again. Local churches took turns cooking meals to feed those guys that volunteered to come here and work. Our home is all electric, so we went to my Mom's to stay because she had gas heat and stove. It was AWFUL! Lost all my house plants and the food in the fridge and freezer. When they predicted another severe ice storm here several months ago, we went right out and bought a generator. I won't be caught unprepared again!
My DD and her family lived between Owensboro and Henderson. (Closer to Henderson) I went and got our DGD who was a toddler and kept her until their power came back on. She kept saying "Our mote broke. Come get me today?" her only worry was the TV remote. LOL
Old 01-29-2014, 08:25 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

We have a wood burning fireplace that heats the house if need be, we have an electric stove in the Kitchen and a propane stove and oven in the basement I use for canning .. so if we lose power we can still cook.... With the shortage of Propane and the price gouging, Im thankful for the fireplace...

Stay warm everyone.. and stay safe..