found bird nest

Old 05-09-2012, 09:25 AM

Unhappy found bird nest

Just found a bird nest with 2 young hatched and one egg, it was under our rowboat and have to moved it, we left it on the ground and the female came to feed them, we moved the nest under the eaves but she's not going there, we've put it back on the ground. She was sitting in for a while but now she's gone and the youngs are very weak, they're just recently hatched as we can see. I'm afraid they'll die
What shoud we do?
Old 05-09-2012, 09:31 AM

Sadly, she may not come back. Birds are funny about their nests.

Maybe next time you can move the boat and place something else over the nest, like a wooden crate propped up with bricks or rocks. She must have thought under the boat her eggs would be safe from mean predators.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:13 AM

Keep watching for the mother she may come back. The other thing is you could call your veterinarians office and ask if there is a wildlife rehabilitation person or place that would be willing to take the babies. If you cant find one you could try to do it yourself. PM me if you want info on how.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
Sadly, she may not come back. Birds are funny about their nests.

Maybe next time you can move the boat and place something else over the nest, like a wooden crate propped up with bricks or rocks. She must have thought under the boat her eggs would be safe from mean predators.
Yes, birds are "picky" about their nests & their young & the like. We, too, found a nest in a weird place a couple of years ago. We didn't know what to do so we called our vet (I know... but we didn't really know who else to call). She told us not to mess with it at all, even if that was distressing to us (which it was). So we left it alone & it all turned out OK.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:54 AM

Unfortunately its part of nature....I work for a conservation department and we get calls about this all the time. It seems cruel to say, but there really isn't anything you can be doing that you haven't already done. If they don't survive they will become part of the food chain for something else....which I know sounds cruel, but is a part of life and nature. You are a compassionate person and thank you for caring so much.

Claudia
Old 05-11-2012, 04:01 PM

I am so glad to come upon this thread. We have a ruby finch family that made its nest and laid eggs on the wreath on our front door! My youngest wanted to know if we can just move the nest, as he doesn't want to have to go in and out the garage to come into/ out of the house. My gut said no, but I didn't have any real knowledge speak to what may happen, if we did. Thanks for sharing! We too shall leave well enough alone, at least until this brood flies the nest!
Cheers, Cathy vJ in MA
Old 05-11-2012, 04:28 PM

Awe! I don't know, but I hate when something like that happens.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:05 PM
Power Poster

This spring we were watching a robin feed her little ones on top of our swing. Why she thought that would be a good spot, I don't know. We were careful not to disturb her but the red tailed hawk was not so kind hearted. I keep telling myself "it's the circle of life" but I am still upset. Hope your situation turns out better but unless you have someone who is experienced in bird rescue, it doesn't look good.