Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bird nest question >

Bird nest question

Bird nest question

Old 04-01-2016, 12:38 PM

Default Bird nest question

I just bought a Juki DX7 machine today! I don't understand what is going wrong. Every time I begin to sew I get little loopy birdnests. I have a photo for you to show what it looks like:[ATTACH=CONFIG]546687[/ATTACH]

At the start of the stiches I used the lockstitch button for the stitches pictured. When I used the lock stitch at the end of the stitches it looked just fine.

The stitches don't seem to look very even either. Any advice would be much appreciated!

I used auto tension and a straight stich setting using guterman thread.
Attached Thumbnails e7ff0e2c-c6c1-48f0-975d-9129e6298581.jpg  
Old 04-01-2016, 12:41 PM
Power Poster

That happens when I don't pull the bobbin thread to the top. The extra length of bobbin just has a tendency to "wad" up. If you pull the bobbin thread to the top, you will avoid this problem. That is why I don't use the lockstitch function on my machine.

However, if you start in the seam allowance of the quilt, the little nests would be caught in the binding and it wouldn't matter.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:24 PM
Power Poster

I agree. looks like even though you are using a lock stitch to start, you are still going to have to pull up the bobbin tail. Hope you got it from a dealer who can help.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:58 PM

I agree - the bobbin thread is causing that. If you hold onto your thread tails when you start sewing, it should take care of those nests.

As for the evenness of the stitches, I think I see what you mean - they aren't really straight. This is usually caused by a thread/fabric mismatch. It looks like you are using a fairly light, loosely-woven fabric. To get really straight stitches, you would need either a thinner thread, or a heavier fabric. If you were stitching on a single layer of fabric, then having two layers would probably help.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:58 PM

When I hold the tails of my thread, my lock stitch does not do this. If I don't hold them, then sometimes I get this too.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:49 PM

Are you pulling your bobbin thread up to the top before you start sewing? I know on my machine it says there's no need to pull them up from the bobbin case, but often if I don't, it won't start sewing until it's built up a bit of tension by forming the birds nest.

As for the uneven stitches, try adjusting the pressure on your presser foot.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:09 PM

Thank you all so very much for your kind help! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it!

If I have to hold onto the threads when I start sewing then I have two choices:
1. continue using the automatic thread cutter at the end of the row of sewing and then have to pull up the bobbin thread every time
or
2. stop using the auto thread cutter, and manually cut the threads at the end of the row the old fashioned way

Feeling a bit disappointed as I was really looking forward to using the lock stich. I also don't like the extra step of having to hold onto my stitches as I start sewing.

Are all new machines with auto thread cutters this way?

I am realizing how lovely it was to have the old machine, knowing it so well and being able to stich so beautifully. (I had a Pfaff Stretch and Jeans that was about 17 years old.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:40 PM

Just give the holding the thread time. It will soon feel as familiar as your old machines idiosyncrasies.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:41 PM

Does your bobbin thread actually get sucked back down into the bobbin area when you use the thread cutter?

When I use the thread cutter, it leaves about an inch or so of bobbin thread above the needle plate. I pull out a bit more and hold onto it when I start to sew.

The other thing you could do is use leaders and enders, or just a scrap that you sew over multiple times to avoid the nesting.
Old 04-02-2016, 03:22 AM

Peckish is right on target about the leaders and enders to stop the problem. I like to use them to save thread mostly-but would also eliminate your problem. I do not have automatic thread cutting but I know I would not like it if it only left an inch of bobbin thread. You need to be able to hold on to it. You can do that by pulling up the thread at the beginning of the line of stitching or just holding it while you do your lock stitch.